Platypuses: they're venomous, they sweat milk, and turns out they glow in the dark too

3 Likes

As well as laying eggs, they produce milk - meaning they’re one of the few animals able to make their own custard.

(I think this is from Douglas Adams)

9 Likes

Platypolloi have no shame gland /s

1 Like

As a Pendant-carrying Pedant, I do not think it vulgar of me to divulge that it verges on the mandatory for me to say I think you meant diverged.

6 Likes

Or devolved, which probably is an appropriate term to use when we’re getting away from the platypodes.

3 Likes

But I prefer to think the thread itself has evolved. Onward and upwards, as it were, rather than the opposite. :wink:

1 Like

Does one carry a pendant?

3 Likes

Very good point. But I try to carry it in my pocket, mostly. It’s a bit too ostentatious when worn around the neck, I’ve found. Also, one gets fewer strange looks when fondling it in one’s pocket, compared to constantly stroking it when it is visible on one’s chest.

Precioussssss! :wink:

6 Likes

Aliens!!!

A sudden Aha! moment. I wonder if platypuses and Giuliani are closely related? He is known to be venomous and he sweats unusually. Can somebody get a UV light on him at the earliest convenient moment please. This might be a scientific breakthrough. Come to think of it, I’ve seen a few pictures of Trump seemingly sweating some orange fluid. We need two UV lights, stat.

4 Likes

No. Getting anywhere near that crew with a blacklight would be way way gross and disgusting. Some things are better left unknown and unimagined. Like, ever.

7 Likes

I was wondering who would catch that. If, as in @teknocholer’s earlier post, there can be only one, I believe you’re well on your way to reigning

4 Likes

If this didn’t deserve to be #12, I don’t know what would be.

Also, fixed the text :wink:

6 Likes

Siblings__The playmates whose parens won't sue you__WM

5 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: My life is complete*!! :star_struck:

*Well, not literally complete. I mean there are other things that I can still look forward to in my life. But you know.

8 Likes

I saw a platypuss in the wild once, and from a few metres away it’s really hard to tell which end is the beak and which is the tail (except for the direction it’s travelling). Hence I think that the platypuss is the inspiration behind the pushme-pullyou.

1 Like

I was coming down off Frenchman’s Cap…

…just after crossing the Sodden Loddons…

…I was chilling out on a rope bridge across the Loddon River, dangling my feet over the edge as I sat in the middle. The view was awesome; snow-topped mountains in the background, with both them and the trees reflecting in the water.

Looking down, I saw a v-shaped ripple approaching on the water. For a moment, I had sudden hope that it might be a platypus, but I dismissed that as unrealistic. It was probably just a skater bug on the surface of the water or somesuch.

Then, a couple of metres from me, the ripple resolved into a full-size adult male platypus, about two feet long, now paddling on the surface. He swam right under my feet, then dove back down shortly after passing me.

It was very cool.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.