Playground equipment welded to prevent motion

When I was in first grade in the early 80s, my teacher was a total throwback. Super stern, had a grey beehive… she was awesome. Anyhow, we had a merry-go-round like the one in the picture on the main page, and it had sand underneath. She warned us to stay away from it, and explained in graphic detail how a child had gotten stuck underneath it and had been scalped. Can you imagine telling a 6-year-old kid that these days? Needless to say, we all ignored her and played on it, but we had a healthy respect for not falling under it when pushing it.

So what we need are fewer bureaucrats and more mean beehived teachers.

12 Likes

Sounds like an improvement to me.

Just need to take out all the non-musical parts too.

4 Likes

I’ve spend a fair amount of time in remote Amazon River villages where little kids swim in waters filled with caiman, climb trees and vines and wrestle with each other everywhere. What I see are lean, healthy kids with great coordination skills having a lot of cheap fun. We’ve lost something I’m afraid.

8 Likes

What you don’t see is the gruesome natural selection process that weeded out the slow, weak and clumsy ones before you got there.

17 Likes

Well, duh. Of course you see lots of coordinated kids, all the uncoordinated ones couldn’t outrun the caiman…

3 Likes

I can’t believe all the people in favour of draining our gene pool. Think of the bigger picture, people!

As someone previously posted, here’s the actual legal version of what happened with the playground. As you can see, it’s not that the city wanted to sanitize playgrounds, it’s that someone sued them after their kid obviously fell off the thing, and the courts ruled in favor of the person, not the city. So don’t blame the city, in this case, for this stupid decision!

1 Like

When I was a kid, the swings in public playgrounds were two feet wide slabs of wood held by thick chains.

Dangerous? Oh, geez, yeah! But the finest swinging possible. And you could actually stand on them to do tricks.

Did I mention they were dangerous? :wink:

7 Likes

Quite frankly, that does look pretty unsafe. Compared to the merry-go-round pictured, it’s pretty high off the ground and it doesn’t look like there’s any easy way to hold on.

Of course, the suitably-determined child may injure him or herself on just about anything.

These kids know how to push the limits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4__KfWYqFvU

5 Likes

Rip it all out and install cubicles.

Sets their expectations for the future more accurately.

9 Likes

So is that what was going on on the Sandra and Woo webcomic the last couple of episodes? (Link points to first of three…)

1 Like

When you go to a public playground you are expected to be responsible for your children. They need to be taught how to use things safely, and when they might hurt themselves or someone else. Playgrounds are designed to be challenging physical activities and sometimes that can hurt. (thanks gravity). Now, if the equipment was defective, mis-assembled, poorly maintained, I can see the damages to sue. But improperly using something or just accidentally falling off, that’s just life telling you to be a bit more careful next time.
Honestly, if you go to a playground and don’t come back with scrapes and bruises, you are doing something wrong.

5 Likes

There’s a whole genre of motorized vehicles + rotating playground toy stunts in youtube, it seems, with predictable results. Jackass effect?

Take that, Fun!

2 Likes

Obviously we’re on the down side of the humanity bell curve. Things can only get worse.

Seriously, if they think kids can’t injure themselves regardless of whether or not it moves, they haven’t spent any time around children.

2 Likes

A few dozen children die each year in playground accidents. I imagine a few times more are crippled or otherwise permanently injured.

Now, be an administrator telling a bereaved family or a judge that that it’s acceptable for a few children to die each year so that the vast, vast majority learn necessary physical skills.

It’s true, but very few people (including most of those decrying our safety culture) have the guts to say it out loud. Hence, our playgrounds get nerfed.

(And in 60 years, hundreds of thousands die a few years early of diabetes and other obesity-related diseases.)

1 Like

Actually, make the playground boring enough, and the kids will go home and play video games instead.

And, to be honest, this is much preferred by almost everybody because it’s a whole lot less work than supervising children playing outdoors and it’s a relatively cheap way of keeping them sedated. (And letting children play outdoors without supervision can now get you arrested.)

Also, when they’re older, it stops them from gathering on street corners, getting involved in petty crime, etc. It’s almost as good as not having kids at all!

1 Like

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2014/12/04/0639-roundabout-i/