Poison used to kill view-blocking trees may have poisoned beach below—and the sea

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/21/a-wealthy-tourist-poisoned-the-ll-bean-familys-trees-and-possibly-the-atlantic-ocean-too.html

6 Likes

Time to zone a highrise where the trees were.

7 Likes

Prison. Fines don’t work, but a few years enjoying the view from a cell might get the attention of these creeps and anyone inspired to emulate them.

13 Likes

Much quicker and cheaper to allow a variance for some billboards.

6 Likes

Ones what say EAT THE RICH ferinstance.

7 Likes

Maybe put up some “This is not a place of honor” brutal concrete warning spikes, scaled to really show the view who is boss? Sure, that sort of chemical contamination doesn’t strictly require that duration; but it’s about sending a message, and (even once the herbicide is gone) plutocrats poisoning the earth for their own petty convenience seems like a definite “no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here” and “What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us” situation.

4 Likes

Back in the old days so many of these ass hats pine for, they would have been driven out of town on a rail or tarred and feathered. I’d at LEAST liked to have seen them put in physical labor in remediation until it was all cleared up.

3 Likes

Heh. I like it! I was thinking with a highrise, some folk would get to enjoy that lovely view.

4 Likes

Time to re-visit the possibilities?

8 Likes

My dad sold herbicide and sprayers for industry and agriculture. He had to take all kinds of classes to learn the proper applications, EPA rules, etc. I remember him telling me turning away farmers who wanted to do something shady with some of the more exotic stuff (meant for people trained for application). Because yeah, you put like stuff in a small pond to get rid of your algae meant for a lake or something and you manage to screw up a lot of other stuff you didn’t mean to. :confused:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.