Pokemon Go privacy rules are terrible (just like all your other apps)

Apparently when you sign in with your Google account, you are consenting. My work uses google apps and just banned people from logging on to Pokemon Go with their work account for this reason.

2 Likes

They are google permissions, not iOS ones (technically) so iOS isn’t going to catch this. You have to log into Pokemon Go with either a Pokemon Go specific account or use a Google (gmail) account and give it access when you do…

I thought the ultimate goal was getting in the way of my Ingress play since it uses the same location data.

3 Likes

Yeah replied later and apologized for misreading the issue, thought it was iOS phone perms, not google account perms.

2 Likes

Most people don’t know the difference so no foul. This stuff is overly complicated.

3 Likes

This’ll make the terrists easy to spot: they’ll be the ones not playing Pokemon Go.

5 Likes

Would this make all Pokemon Go players the zombies of the CIA?

2 Likes

nah, the Naicho, and the zombies have an AR overlay with at least two tentacles and/or wearing a school uniform.

completely in line with Japan’s policies, Abe’s LDP won the elections on sunday and has enough seats to change the constitution - he already announced to kick out the anti-war articles.

in related news: the press freedom in Japan is dying.

1 Like

Well, duh. Look at us all, mapping the world inside and out, for free. Okay, for virtual possession of cartoon monsters.

I’m fightin’ the power by playing Fallout 4’s Far Harbor DLC on my fat ass at home.

1 Like

I blame all the fluoride in the water! They are trying to corrupt our precious bodily fluids!

…wait, is that a bulbasaur?

2 Likes

To be clear, the game uses the Google Maps API; it’s not revising its maps as you walk around. And the developers have clarified that they do not have access to your photos, emails, or personal data.

Good thing I used my empty garbage authentication for the app

I shouldn’t have that excuse, given that I work in IT services for a living :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. I’m sure the game isn’t hurting any individual user. Well, reasonably sure.

But still. If I, as a Bad Actor, wanted to do all the sneaky things listed in Feinberg’s article, employing legions of unpaid foot soldiers to do my mapping all unawares, I can’t think of a better way to go about it.

Meh. All the other apps on my phone already do this. I am no more concerned by this app than any other. Though I DID create a new email just for the app, like I do for every other app that has a google login.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.