Police in Farmington, New Mexico, respond to wrong house and kill man there

Nope, that’s exactly victim blaming.

13 Likes

i guess downton abbey GIF

2 Likes

yeah it is… showing up at the door with a gun when someone is banging on your door shouldn’t result in one’s death. Let’s not forget that this is precisely WHY Breonna Taylor is dead, because the cops showed up, her boyfriend had a gun, and they used that as an excuse to open fire…

But hey, if ONLY people would be nicer to the cops, they wouldn’t regularly kill people, I guess… /s

15 Likes

You don’t even have to come to the door. Atatiana Jefferson was shot through the window after arming herself - probably because someone was creeping around outside. Turns out “someone” was the cops, and one shot and killed her:

18 Likes

Armed, unarmed - it hardly matters when it comes to ensure the racial order is maintained… That’s one of the major problems with policing, that it’s a byproduct of white supremacy and the elite class that benefits from it.

18 Likes

Clearly the problem here was not enough good guys with guns.

4 Likes

TBF, everyone Police kill is innocent, as they haven’t gone to trial yet.

4 Likes

Um. . . This flies in the face of absolutely every single thing that right-wingers tell us about protecting the home.

10 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

9 Likes

Or, ya know, don’t own a gun you can be shot with.

Again and again, the bodycam recordings defy that certainty.

17 Likes

Bear in mind, the public narrative of this incident is being set by police. Maybe let’s wait until the bodycam footage is released before we take the bait that the homeowner did anything at all.

16 Likes

Oh yeah, definitely. Neither case would surprise me. Regardless, at the end of the day the cops killed a guy who (likely) meant them no harm. That’s on them.

5 Likes

no, you are not—you may have faith that police generally announce themselves, but that’s not the same thing as knowledge

12 Likes

Seth Meyers No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

14 Likes

When I read about the wife opening fire I immediately pictured the actor Frances MacDormand blasting away but missing with every shot. Which is when I realised I was imagining the whole event as a scene in a Coen brothers film, not something that actually happened and had tragic consequences.

5 Likes

These situations are often mishandled. How do the police approach an armed public. The police must assume every interaction is armed and they are threatened? Intelligence would help. Then again armed people meeting armed people, what is the point, let’s all shoot each other.

How about clarify what you mean? Do you think that the police should be able to operate with impunity, surveilling and abuse the rights of people they believe to be threats, which violates the 4th amendment?

9 Likes

Police have all the advantages. They can be patient and wait the person they are seeking out. They don’t have to go in guns blazing. They can set up a perimeter, bring in new officers when the ones watching get tired. But they don’t. They would rather kill people, often innocent people, rather than be slightly inconvenienced.

15 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

7 Likes

I think that the police often approach situations in a position of feeling threatened and respond by violence and intimidation. I think our loosening of gun laws creates all the more justification for their response.