Police op-ed in LA Times: 'Do what I tell you,' I may shoot you if you 'threaten to sue me'

Pretty sure the latter was written for clickbait and the former was written for CYA.

My takeaway is that even this guy says “I also believe every cop should use a body camera to record interactions with the community at all times.” Why aren’t we doing this already?

1 Like

Yes. I read the whole article. His remarks are still outrageously inappropriate.

3 Likes

“[I]f you don’t want to get shot, tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you”

And if he tells you to consent to a search? And if he tells you to confess to a crime that you didn’t commit? I suppose he believes that he’s entitled to shoot you if you don’t comply.

Unfortunately, he’d probably get away with it.

6 Likes

Hmm. I was almost ready to concede that point, but if what you say is true, that the colon makes it a definition, then you’ve got him saying it’s illegal for a cop to use force (excessive or not, the adjective can serve no useful purpose here as it’s subjective) after resistance ceases, and is saying nothing at all which prohibits the commission of designer mayhem on the suspect before that point. I’m reasonably sure that you’d not claim that this is his intent, but will admit that it knocks the confessional aspect out of the window.

Because they’d rather buy more body armor or Dodge Chargers.

Not that it matters, “officers are rarely at fault”

How different is this from ‘The Talk’ young African-Americans get when they turn old enough to get shot? I mean besides that the intended audience appears to be white.

1 Like

Except for the fact that what he says cops do very rarely reflects what cops actually do. If cops acted the way he describes in this paragraph, there would be fewer situations like Ferguson, the baby injured in the SWAT raid in Georgia, and countless other situations where cops acted in an utterly unprofessional manner.

But you know what would eliminate situations like that? What one topic he completely dodges in this entire article? What to do about the bad cops. Because every cop who lets a bad cop get away with being a bad cop becomes a bad cop. And the attitude that drips from every sentence in this pile of crap is that cops are unquestionable.

And that is absolutely fucking unacceptable.

18 Likes

The way I’ve thought of it before is having to treat a cop like they are a dangerously crazy person.

12 Likes

Because in ‘The Talk’ those offering the warning are not the same people who are offering the violence. When you combine the two, warning and violence, it rather comes off as a threat.

8 Likes

That’s how I deal with the police. Thank you officer, no officer, that’s in the glove box officer may I get it? It let’s me stay in the car and keeps his hands off me for certain. Been pulled over many times and nothing bad happened to me ever. Witnessed many accidents, and before I left after cops arrived I ask “May I leave now?”

And if a cop asked me to stop walking in the street … Well, I suppose I would stop.

But I’m a white male. So what do I know.

2 Likes

The reality of the situation itself feels a bit paradoxical. We are to resist excessive force and over-stepping authority in principle, in aggregate and as a society; but as individuals in the moment it is dangerous to resist or not co-operate. And how do we resist in principle, in aggregate and as a society if none of us choose to resist or not co-operate as individuals in the moment?

6 Likes

Pick up that can.

14 Likes

Well unlike ISIS he won’t saw your head off with a blunt knife, so there is that.

Hey look, he said one thing that isn’t totally fascist in the article. Let’s throw out all the other terrible stuff he said!

1 Like

And that works so well … if you’re white, well-off, lucky, and the incident is recorded.

Oh yeah, and still alive.

4 Likes

Not yet, anyway. Not unless we all actually all do stand together to end the repression in the class system. It really isn’t about black and white. The cops love beating on Muslims, Hispanics, Queers, homeless, smart-ass academics. They love being “almost an army”, and can’t wait for the shit to hit the fan. The only reason there are no dead cops right now is because no one wants the full blown war in the streets to start right now.

2 Likes

If only there were some sort of agency that compiles occupational safety and health statistics… You don’t really have to be a graduate of the Thin Blue Line School of Hagiography to do occupational risk comparisons (hint, cops definitely not as high up the food chain as they prefer to believe).

9 Likes

“Cooperate” means working together for something mutually beneficial. What is being asked for here is not cooperation, it is submission.

14 Likes

No, actually, that’s fair enough. If the job requires your staff to spend a lot of time driving around then some definite proportion of your staff will be killed and injured every year in motor vehicle accidents. And it’s reasonable to include those as an indication of how dangerous the job is.

It is not, however, reasonable to use that as an excuse to go out and beat on more black or homeless or Muslim or Hispanic or Queer or smart-ass academic folk (tip o’ the hat to @cherishhellfire).

2 Likes

If you follow his advice, you’re much more likely to be alive at the end of the encounter.

1 Like