Police take revenge on a shooter who surrendered

Originally published at: Police take revenge on a shooter who surrendered | Boing Boing

11 Likes

joanna lumley rage GIF

18 Likes

Ah, more “bad apples”, I see. Pay no attention to the rotten barrel.

26 Likes

Don’t we all want a job where we can do whatever the fuck we like?

/s

:angry: :sob:

17 Likes

American policing can’t be reformed. We need to end it and start over from scratch

20 Likes

JFC. What the hell? Agh. I’ve got nothing. Just imagine if he was anything but a white guy…

ACAB

17 Likes

“Just do what the police tell you!”
Yeeaaah… that’s not going to help.

9 Likes

Hey it’s a white guy. Maybe now the right will be concerned.

2 Likes

Christ what an asshole.

1 Like

There’s only one thing I love more than a man in uniform, and that’s a man in uniform who’s kicking a defenseless person and hitting them with a firearm while yelling at them.

Making the world a better place.

2 Likes

I get that the guy took some point-blank potshots at those cops a few minutes prior. OK. So then the takedown might be rough. But once he’s compliant? FFS. Despite everything else, he should sue the department into compliance.

11 Likes

Christ what a pair of assholes. Both cops obviously like kicking defenseless people around.

6 Likes

Where did this happen? I can’t get any useful information out of the twitter thread.

Edit: Figured it out. Phoenix back in October. A grand jury declined to indict the cops a couple of weeks ago.

10 Likes

That is the norm for grand juries who are led by the nose by the corrupt local prosecutors who work with the police. 99.9% of the time they do nothing. I find grand juries to be simply a laughable bunch of dolts who could not find their way out of a giant wet paper bag.

From the article:

the Phoenix Police Department recommended aggravated assault charges for Becerra and Beck.

After reviewing the evidence, the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office determined that Becerra’s actions warranted a criminal charge, but there was not a reasonable likelihood of conviction for Beck’s conduct.

So, the PD recommended charges. The local prosecutor recommended charges for the one officer they thought could be convicted. The DA presented evidence, and the GJ declined to indict.

I’m not sure who is being “led by the nose,” unless you’re arguing that the DA intentionally bungled the presentation of evidence.

It seems more likely that this is a case of a compliant public being just fine with extrajudicial punishment by police officers. He shot at the cops, the cops meted out “justice.” Have a nice day.

8 Likes

“… Beck’s conduct occurred before Denman was handcuffed and before his gun was located, and as such would likely not secure a conviction …”

Cool cool.

“So, do we know where his gun is?”

“Nope.”

“Sweet. Hold off on handcuffing him for a few minutes. I’m gonna kick him some.”

“Can we do that?”

“Yeah. So long as he’s still a threat, he’s fair game.”

“But he’s just lying there, not doing anything.”

“Hush, son, this is our chance to do some damage. Now, I ask you, does this man look threatening to you?”

“Uh … not rea-- … I mean, yes, sir. I’m literally afraid for my life.”

“Good boy – have at it!”

6 Likes

Where is the national push for personal liability insurance, with judgements coming out of the pension fund?

The only other solution just gets accounts banned.

2 Likes

What other solution?

7 Likes

For many cities there’s no separate pension fund for police distinct from other employees. They may receive a different benefit- but the money isn’t segregated.

Collective guilt for a group for other members acts is also a suspect standard.

It’s also not how a personal insurance policy works.

6 Likes

Garnishing police pension funds doesn’t sound like fair punishment for police brutality. As a civilian who doesn’t get a pension, does that mean I could beat people up without any loss of income?

1 Like