Polishing a National guitar

On a similar note, well-known guitar repairman Dan Erlewine from Stewart-Macdonald has suggested you use saliva to clean gunk off the fretboard. Sounds pretty gross but his logic is hard to argue with: it’s a natural substance, it’s used in your body to dissolve stuff, and it won’t drain natural oils from the wood. I will admit to having used it on some thrift store guitars that were caked with decades of dead skin between the frets, but I still feel a need to use some kind of disinfectant afterwards.

Same album. All Around The World, I think.

And no, that’s not misheard lyrics. Seriously.

[Edith said I should link. Well.]

3 Likes

Oh! I’d totally forgotten about that line in that song.

The context is –
“The sun gets weary, and the sun goes down
Ever since the watermelon.”

My guess is that he means that the sun has gone up and down for a very long time, for as long as watermelons have been around.

Or maybe it’s just Paul Simon adding a silly and enigmatic word in there to fit the rhythm, which is more likely. He does that a lot.

The latter is what the internet’s consensus seems to be.

Nevertheless, since the National Guitar seemed to be a case like this to me, I hoped happy mutants here would have a more… fruitful explanation. :watermelon:

It’s in the myth of fingerprints song.

Well, the sun gets weary
And the sun goes down
Ever since the watermelon
And the lights come up
On the black pit town
Somebody says, “What’s a better thing to do?”
Well, it’s not just me
And it’s not just you
This is all around the world

I have no idea what it means. A lot of times lyrics in pop songs are nonsense that just sound right and fit into the rhythm.

3 Likes

Which in the USA was since they were introduced from Africa by slavers and there’s all the racist associations with watermelon. It’s a really good choice for a word that might have been picked just for it’s sound. Like, adds a much grimmer edge to the song.

May be reading too much into this. But I like the result, so Imma stick with it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.