Pompeo: Arctic ice melting means 'new opportunities for trade’

He really POMPEO’d that.

3 Likes

Hey Mike, as a citizen of the country whose sovereign territory you apparently think you can violate freely for your “trade routes” let me be the first to tell you to get bent. KYFHO

PS: You’re welcome to try and go around the long way. We’ll send ice breakers, I promise.

7 Likes

Hey, are you Pomp… never mind.
:smile:

2 Likes

Not at all long ago, that CNN piece would fit perfectly at The Onion.

So hard to think we’re not totally fucked at this point.

8 Likes

Huh. Similar thinking to the Russian stance over the last couple of decades…

1 Like

Ship rat said:
Ships don’t sink! Let’s eat that grain before it gets all wet!

3 Likes

How about we trade Pompeo? Or feed him to the last polar bear.

14 Likes

No, this is the sort of thing villains in Captain Planet cartoon say.

638x0_q80_crop-smart

4 Likes

He also said this in that same speech:

7 Likes

That whole Rovaniemi ministerial meeting wasn’t very good.

4 Likes

Look at all those new opportunities for trade! /s

2 Likes

You just know that if these guys could devise a way to make air proprietary, they’d jump at it.

5 Likes

This is why absolutely nothing will be done to halt/slow/reverse global warming: the only people who could do something about won’t, because they see an opportunity for profit and they are incapable of looking at anything else.
Look at the Paris agreement: a bunch of people got together and decided to hold a meeting in three years. Three years later they got together and decided to hold another meeting in one year. Meanwhile CO2 continued to climb and continues to climb. They accomplished exactly nothing. The only reason for the existence of such committees is to placate the public: “See, we’re doing something.”
Politics is powerless in the face of finance.

2 Likes

and when I searched for that, I ran across the following. Life imitating art, perhaps not in the most encouraging way.

This man sells fresh air to people in China for £80 a bottle https://t.co/0ZMq5FNogA

— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) February 8, 2016
6 Likes

Extra points for forcing me to look up KYFHO!

2 Likes

Guy running around screaming on fire
Pompeo “Hey look at that, this guy has free heating the rest of his life now!”
Guy falls to ground no longer making noise and is just a husk burning
Pompeo “Well look at that, I wanted to plant a garden and now… Free fertilizer!”

Remember folks, everything is an opportunity if you spin it right and have the moral compass of a henchman.

5 Likes

These interesting times are getting mighty boring.

3 Likes

We all laughed at Kevin Costner when he made Waterworld.
Prescient bastard.

7 Likes

Well he’s got access to all the nukes now so I’m sure he’ll soon see the economic value in blasting canal routes through the ice caps.