Portland proposes a special tax on companies where CEOs make 100X more than median employee

Just like all the boats taking Seattle employers away from their $15 an hour wages?

4 Likes

…? Kind of like how CEO’s pay themselves the minimum wage and a shit ton of stock options, or is this more like real estate where you can take a loss one year to shuffle your money to avoid ever paying taxes at all like Trump? Glad the article was informative enough to give an education on that… There are CEO’s with median wages 100x their median employee who can’t find a tax accountant to get around this? Sure, I didn’t research the bill, but I did read an uninformative article.

2 Likes

Apples and Oranges.

1 Like

Alex, “what are dire warnings that won’t come true?”

3 Likes

Right because no CEO would ever move a company for tax reasons.

So let’s do nothing because we can’t do everything.

4 Likes

I think that’s a great idea and while obviously greedy people will try to get around it, it’s meaningful and worth a try, because if we manage to align the incentives and disincentives properly, which admittedly is very difficult to achieve, we could have some of the richest and most powerful people in the world trying very hard to reduce inequality of pay in their companies. And that’s something worth striving for.

3 Likes

All the dire warnings about companies leaving and restaurants closing over $15 is the same as your comments about everyone leaving when the floor mopping guy needs to make at least $40,000 when the CEO makes 4 million dollars.

Is that some sort of giant trial for some CEOs? Sure. But since CEO pay is only in relationship to other CEOs and they always need to make a larger comparable salary to other CEOs, I don’t know how else it’ll ever get brought down without some kind of restrictions.

2 Likes

Laws aren’t going to change it. Social mores will or nothing.

When Reagan rolled back taxes from Eisenhower levels all mores went out the window.

Social mores say that minimum wage isn’t meant to be a minimum wage for a family. Otherwise there wouldn’t be pushback for a $15 wage that would mean it had kept up with inflation. Again, only laws will make people do what is right. Papa John has claimed he’ll have to go out of business when it will only cost a fucking dime more per pizza. So that’s where your social mores get you.

Ain’t no ghosts visiting any Scrooges these days. They’re not beholden to social mores when you’re “smart” to not pay taxes like the President Elect instead of calling for a reasonable change to the tax structure like Buffett.

6 Likes

I’m not sure what argument you’re really trying to make. My point is that if you make an environment unfriendly to a corporation and there is another, more friendly environment, they will move if they can. See the last 50 years of history and movement of companies overseas.

All a single city passing a law does it cause people to move outside the city border, same for a state if the move costs aren’t too much.

The reason why raising the minimum wage works (and, locally, it DID drive a few places out of business) is that businesses that employ minimum wage workers are normally location based and can’t move. A large corporation often isn’t though.

Then let them move. Kansas, for example, is a great location for business with its low overhead and friendly tax structure.

The issue is that when they move the CEO doesn’t want to live in Kansas or the local workforce isn’t able to do the job. There are plenty of localities in the US that have provided ample tax reasons to move yet are going bankrupt because companies are still not moving there.

Friendly corporate environments aren’t the solution either, they only end up hurting the actual workers. Might as well force the companies into these solutions, they’re not going to come up with things like the 40 hour work week or weekends off on their own.

6 Likes

Because those are working so well with the incoming President. Or the Congress that’s supposed to support/defend those mores.

1 Like

and laws have reduced CEO pay? Where?

No, that’s what you need an actual labor movement for…too bad people all tell me constantly that unions are bad too.

You won’t hear that dirty wrong talk from my mouth.

2 Likes

That is to say, if the top elected official in the country chooses to operate in a veritable cornucopia of ways clearly opposed to the social mores of the day and nobody in power in the legislative branch chooses to stop or curtail that behavior (despite howls of protest from anyone with a brain), I don’t see mores carrying the day in the battle over CEO payrates.

1 Like

I don’t see a city or even state law doing it either. Federal maybe but when the Federal government is captured by the GOP? It won’t happen either.

What about the mean workers?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.