Possible PBBB laptop RPG game

Highest skill level is in ‘Erotic Art’? O_o

I think if it’s something that’s going to be made public shortly, then it can be posted publicly.

You all go to bed that night. As Robin reaches the bottom of the stairs, one of the serving wenches deposits a note in his hand. The note says, simply: “The Sheriff of Nottingham is waiting in ambush at the next inn. Signed, A Friend.”

There’s no way that that isn’t getting shared with the rest of the party the next morning, so there’s no point in hiding it. On the other hand:

You all go to bed that night. As Robin reaches the bottom of the stairs, one of the serving wenches deposits a note in his hand. The note says, simply: “I have Maid Marian at the next inn. You will lead the Merry Men into the ambush or she dies. Signed, Nottingham.”

At that point, Robin has a decision to make: either to lead them into the ambush, or to reveal the note to the rest of the party.

The first note can probably be posted publicly because there’s no reason for its recipient to hide it. The second note has something Robin might want to hide from the rest of the party, so it should be private until Robin chooses otherwise.

1 Like

With minimum points applied; Double-Jointed gives +5 to Climbing, Escape and Erotic Art…

Your description did suggest a Rudolph Valentino type.

If you want, we can relocate that skill point elsewhere. Even at default, Jibrīl will be adequately talented. :slight_smile:

I think that once this is underway, we should start a different In Character (IC) topic, and leave this one for Out of Character (OOC) discussion.

It avoids annoyances like having to ((talk like this when out of character)).

Good idea.

Final things to do before we get started:

1. Let me know if there are any changes you want made to your characters (I’ve already tweaked them a bit to match your descriptions; Hawk got a shield and drum, for example).

2. Start thinking about filling in the quirks. These are minor personality touches; likes, dislikes, habits, fashion, trademark moves. It’s okay if you don’t fill out all five at once, but try to come up with a few to begin with. You can probably draw on what you’ve already said for at least one or two.

Current character sheets:

For a rough guide as to skill levels, 11 is basic competence, 14 is quite good, 16 is very good, 18 means you’ll rarely meet your match. For your lower skills, you can do the basics, but don’t try anything flashy; for your higher skills, feel free to get creative.

It’s a roll-under-skill 3d6 system [1], but situational modifiers affect things heavily; while a competent archer might have a decent chance of hitting the target with a careful, aimed shot, an expert archer could hit the same target as a snap shot on the run.

[1] But don’t worry about that, I intend to keep all the mechanics out of sight.

Oh, it’s okay. I just found it amusing.

I’m sure I’ll find someone to draw like one of my French girls…

1 Like

Although Ranar Bolijyr does enjoy a bit of whiskey now and then, he doesn’t feel it would be fitting to have 5 quirks devoted to it, as he’s neither strongly for or against it. Instead he suggests the following:

• Wanderlust/farsickness drives him to explore and seek out new places, experiences, cultures. He’s not content to just sit around.
  • Knows lots of lore and legends from songs and poetry - but can never quite remember the lyrics correctly, so he is usually wrong about them
  • Talks to animals as if they were equals when he thinks no one is listening. He thinks they understand him, although sometimes they ignore it or pretend to not notice.
  • Unusually calm and collected under pressure or in a crisis, but instead occasionally gets anxious or freaks out about things that are no big deal or even for no apparent reason
  • Always carries a small chunk of (worthless) crystal in his pocket, rubs it when he’s worried or uncertain, and checks for it before he goes to sleep. (It was his first attempt at carving as a child, such a bad attempt that no one else would be able to tell what it is supposed to be. But it’s his connection to his childhood and home.)
1 Like
  1. Raze tha Roof:. I like the Disadvantage you had listed previously about preferring to sleep outdoors, so let’s bring it back as a quirk
  2. R-E-S-P-E-C-T: As previously noted, Hawk cones from a culture where disrespect towards the shaman is considered disrespect towards the spirits, so he does not take it kindly.
  3. Long-winded: Hawk comes from a storytelling culture. It’s difficult to get a short answer out of him without it turning into a story.
  4. A day late…: Hawk comes from a land without much use for time beyond sunrise, noon, and sunset. “On time” is not one of his virtues.
  5. … And a dollar short:. While he isn’t quite the type to dump his extra money on the ground like he says he is (that’d be a pretty big disadvantage), he sees no benefit to hoarding coins if there is something more useful to spend it on, or someone in need.

Might I get a description of CoH: Northman?

Thanks!

As per the books, it’s [quote]Code of Honor (Northman’s): Anyone is entitled to one night of hospitality with no questions asked. Even a sworn enemy is a guest under your roof. Speak the letter of the truth, and honor a promise to the bitter end. If someone kills a member of your family, you must seek revenge, without subterfuge. Single combat is the most respected way. -10 points.[/quote]

…which might be a bit more Viking/Celt than you were going for. We can tweak it into something a bit more American if you’d prefer, or just ditch it and bring back a ten-point vow or something. Remember that Hawk does need to be able to behave flexibly enough to survive while working as a foreign adventurer in a not-very-tolerant world.

It’ll work well enough.

Not really having a “home” or a family per se, it’s not going to be very restrictive on him, but the honesty and the oathkeeping I could definitely roleplay.

• Night-owl. Definitely not a morning person. Especially not before his qahwa.

• Artistic temperament. In his better moods, likes to sketch and compose (bad) poetry, but suffers from bouts of self-doubt and depression.

• Gambler. Compulsive risk-taker, poor impulse control.

• Other vices include hookah and arak. Not a big fan of self-denial.

• Picked up the habit of sleeping in a bedouin tent, and is noticeably uncomfortable when having to stay indoors.

Wait what - we have two campaigns going on now?

I’ve got a bad case of tl;dr, can gameadmins/DMs/Sysops update the top post in the thread with links to the must read posts within?

Perezoso y loco,
The Armchair SlothLord.

This thread is planning for one game only, GURPS Banestorm. Current “signed up” players are Daaksyde, nimelennar, daneel and William.

It might be partly my fault, I signed in way at the Early end and didn’t see I got a polite poke from the GM that was still a few hours ago. I’ll be sure to check in the evenings and more often going forward!

Err, and ‘Hi!’ a large bundle that is apparently of feathers, scale, fire, and fur appears

From Within you hear:"I’m Morton J. Throckwoddle III, local Life-Whittling Spectrosummoning Teddy Creature Swarmherd, at your service."The…menagere… bows deeply and from within a small but muscular man that resembles either a stocky elf or a tall dwarf with skinny legs. The menagerie, appearing to be made mostly of smaller creatures, parts to reveal a horse that vanishes when he exits.

@William_Holz @Daaksyde @daneel @nimelennar

Game on; see GURPS Banestorm PBBB narrative thread for the game thread.

That thread is for in-character only; keep any meta-discussion on this thread.

I’m barely equipped to handle even one of these things, and since I’m already at the hamster wheel queue on one I will watch this banestorm thingy from the sidelines.

1 Like

Ah… I see you’ve kicked things off. Is it too late to throw my hat it the ring?

Nope, player list permanently open.

What’s your character concept?

flag as off-topic? this is imo the only usable BBS feature to ensure a “clean” thread

Nicolas de Courcy, Soldier of Fortune sans fortune.
tl;dr version: A washed up former captain of a mercenary company, who’s drunk and gambled away all but the last dregs of the money he made in the Carthiness civil war. Loyal to his fellow mercenaries, and not much else, Nicolas is a disreputable rogue who’ll happily admit you shouldn’t trust him too far.
He dreams of taking back his company and getting back on the road to fortune and fame.

He’s currently skating by on competence, a modicum of charm, and an almost uncanny knack for knowing when to leg it before his creditors show up looking to cash in his gambling debts.

1 Like