Power-friendly USB-C ports yank MagSafe off table

Somebody still cares about US IP law?

Other than Lightning, what are you referring to?

Oh no, officer! I made it for toastersā€¦ Not my fault if those dirty people use it on laptopsā€¦

This dealā€™s getting worse all the time.

Though Apple says

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

Maybe not through hdmi then.

I just donā€™t get this machine.

I am clumsy and the first thing I thought when I saw this laptop was that I would be back to tripping over power cables and dragging my laptop off the bed/desk/etc.

With 5 Gbps USB-C, it is not going to be able to have a high resolution external monitor (4K requires at least 12 Gbps). Itā€™ll barely be able to push 1080p with a gigabit ethernet adapter (daisy chained!) connected.

And what is with that ugly shade of gold? It is blah on an iPhone and I doubt a giant version is going to be better. If youā€™re going to call something ā€œgoldā€ it better not have a dull mat finish and be in a color unrelated to any shade gold (or gold alloy) comes in. Besides, copper is way prettier.

I hope they learn for the next Macbook. My three year old airā€™s battery is really showing its age.

Recent switch from previous 13" MBP to the newest. Yep, I keep popping the magsafe 2 off accidentally. But, I will say it has reminded me that I should NOT have my laptop plugged in all the time. My old MBP had the ā€œ7 year batteryā€. It was supposed to run 3 times the number of cycles of the previous batteries. So instead of averaging 300 full charge cycles before starting to feel ā€œoldā€, it would do closer to 1,000. Problem was, no one told me that keeping it charged all the time because I was mostly using it on the couch would actually make the battery fail sooner. After about 350 charge cycles it started having rather short run times. If you option-clicked on the battery indicator it would tell you that the battery needed ā€œservicingā€. I later read that even the latest batteries donā€™t do well being fully charged all the time. I have other LiOn batteries (drills etc.) that say if you are going to store the tool for an length of time, it should be at half charge, not full. I canā€™t remember where I found the info about having the battery on the charger all the time being bad for the laptop.

ā€œDoes this ever happen to you?ā€

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced

Itā€™s quite possible that this is what the macbook uses-- thatā€™s why USB 3.1 is sometimes described as twice the speed as USB 3, but the macbook only supports the older 5 GB/s speed-- the other lanes are intended for display port. On the other hand lanes are allocated dynamically, so who knowsā€¦

Apparently, Appleā€™s implementation skirts the 3.1 spec. Itā€™s USB-C with ā€œUSB 3.1ā€ support, but only using the fewer lanes for 3.0. Itā€™s not reserving lanes for DisplayPort.

USB 3.1 Gen1 ā€“ and itā€™s in Intelā€™s hands, not Appleā€™s. Gen2 is the full 10Gbps and Iā€™ve read that itā€™ll be on Skylake later this year. That upgrade should answer most gripes people have with this very much early adopter machine.

Me ā€“ Iā€™m an early adopter. :sunglasses:

Hereā€™s an AnandTech article with the nitty gritties.

For Appleā€™s implementation of Type-C there are still a few unknowns, but there are a few common points that bear pointing out based on the email questions I have received. Using the Type-C connector does not require that a device support a specific version of USB; the connector is designed to supersede protocols, being all-around better than pretty much any other connector and purposely created to allow manufacturers to take advantage of it for its size and reversibility. Consequently we will be seeing devices with Type-C connectors and USB 2.0 connectivity (phones, tablets, etc), and even hosts wonā€™t necessarily support USBā€™s fastest speeds. Put in other words, while 10Gbps USB requires Type-C, Type-C does not require 10Gbps USB.

In Appleā€™s case the company will be using Type-C to host 3 different functions: USB data, power, and DisplayPort video. Apple is driving the MacBookā€™s USB data capabilities straight off of the Core-M processor, which in turn only supports USB 3.1 Gen1 data (5Gbps Superspeed), which is otherwise equivalent to USB 3.0. To support Gen2 speeds (10Gbps Superspeed+), Apple would need to use a 3rd party USB controller at this time, which are still very new and would compromise the size of the logic board, along with potentially compromising battery life. For the moment at least I suspect 5Gbps will be enough for the MacBook, particularly if the similarly small internal SSD is unable to saturate that connection.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s true. It has less/same battery life than the other Apple laptops.

I didnā€™t understand the new MacBook at first too. Then I came to the same conclusion. Donā€™t you think that the new MacBook is is planned to take/usurp the spot of the Air in a few generations?

My guess is the Air will be gone by the end of 2016, and by then there will be a 14" MacBook along with the 12, both will be more capable (Gen 2 USB 3.1, multiple ports on the 14" model), and the MacBook Pro line will have been updated as well, and will have lost some weight compared to the current models, putting them between the size/weight of the current Airs and rMBPs. rMBPs of late 2016 will have USB 3.1 Gen 2, along with Thunderbolt 3. Iā€™ll be surprised if the MacBooks get Thunderbolt ever ā€“ itā€™s very much a port for the pro audio/video set, and USB 3.1 Gen 2 and beyond will serve perfectly fine for most use cases when you donā€™t need PCIe straight off the machine.

Iā€™m sorry, youā€™re correct. I didnā€™t realize Apple was claiming 9 hours also for the 11-inch MacBook Air and 12 hours for the 13-inch MacBook Air.

Itā€™s an extraordinary feat to match the 11-inch for battery, though, because the screen is Retina in the MacBook.

Not really. 10 Gbps still isnā€™t enough to push a 4K display. I doubt the next MBP will get rid of the Thunderbolt port.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8533/vesa-releases-displayport-13-standard-50-more-bandwidth-new-features

Display Port 1.1: 10.8 Gbs; 2560x1600@60Hz
Display Port 1.2: 21.6 Gbs: 3840x2180@60 Hz (4K)
Display Port 1.3: 32.4 Gbs: 5120x2880@60 Hz (e.g. Retina iMac)

But more to the point-- the cabling can support multiple independent protocols, A USB-C connector provides 4 lanes. If DisplayPort uses two lanes, and Superspeed USB uses two lanes, the data rate isnā€™t necessarily going to be comparable. Plus, there are separate lines for USB 2.0 so even if all four lanes are dedicated to running displays, the user will still be able to use USB 2.0 high speed devices.

1 Like

Iā€™m still a bit confused as to what kind of 4K the MacBook supports. The VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode press release says, ā€œEarly implementations of DisplayPort Alt Mode USB Type-C devices will likely use existing DisplayPort 1.2a capabilities that support up to 5.4 Gbps per lane. Using 5.4 Gbps across all four high-speed lanes will support up to 4K (4096 x 2160) display resolutions at a 60Hz frame rate with up to 30-bit color.ā€

I presume thatā€™s what Apple is doing.

Apparently even this first rev rMB can push 4K (UHD) out of the USB-C port as DisplayPort, per the Tech Specs. Not sure about refresh rate, as they havenā€™t published that. This should still allow for power and full data rate USB 2 at the same time, if Iā€™m understanding the new USB Type-C and 3.1 Gen 1 specification correctly.

Fast ports are a good thing. I see uses ranging from wearable VR displays to software-defined radio ADC/DAC units. In addition to the necessary-but-boring desktop displays and data storage devices.

If those sorts of things didnā€™t happen with firewire, PCI, PCIe, thunderbolt, Usb 3.0, and so on, thereā€™s no particular reason to expect that USB-C will be much different.