Power tool company Makita sells a coffee machine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/27/power-tool-company-makita-sell.html

6 Likes

Power tool makers already make torches and music players which use their batteries. Construction workers need coffee so it makes sense to extend their product line in this direction.

14 Likes

This has to beat Roach Coach coffee, possibly the saddest coffee ever to pass my lips.

7 Likes

Hey! Don’t hate on the gut truck!

They hold your life in their hands.

8 Likes

Vendor lock-in, construction edition.

3 Likes

Actually not. From the description “MAKITA genuine Cafe POD: 120 mL ● Regular coffee: 160 mL (6.5 g / one metered spoon)”. So it can use both normal coffee in addition to the proprietary pods.

4 Likes

I say pathogens and bacteria to you, Sir or Madam.

7 Likes

The lock-in is with the battery packs. One of the most unfortunate aspects of the move to lithium-ion batteries has been that Every. Fucking. Manufacturer. has its own proprietary battery packs - and of course, that’s assuming the battery isn’t just glued into the device.

14 Likes

Fortunately there are adapters available, but a standard battery would be much more convenient. I tend to buy tools compatible with my existing batteries because it’s that much easier than adapters.

5 Likes

Wow, if I was in the market for an adorable coffee maker this would top the list!

6 Likes

Does it have a hammer-drill setting for when you REALLY need to wake up?

34 Likes

You gotta dial in the torque setting just right so you don’t strip your beans.

20 Likes

The only coffee-making power tool you need:

13 Likes

Thats a Juicero right there.

5 Likes

Thanks, now you’ve got me wondering if I could find a clearance used Juicero and make coffee with it somehow. (I guess in keeping with the original design, it would take a bag of coffee that it just squeezed into a cup for you.)

4 Likes

Here’s hoping Ryobi steps up to the plate.

5 Likes

Bet the coffee has a tinge of machine oil flavor to it…

5 Likes

Was that any different before? I had a Makita drill that ran on a Ni-Cad battery and that was proprietary. I can’t see why you think that the change to lithium-ion had anything to do with that. And knock-off batteries are available for Makita tools, although I’m not sure if they are as reliable.

And I don’t think many people glue batteries in, rather they hard-wire them. That tends to happen with smaller tools like power screwdrivers, and perhaps Chinese knock-offs of the bigger tools. And in those cases you have to charge the tool by plugging it in. But if you buy that you know what you are getting.

8 Likes

That’s how you know it’s working!

4 Likes

Well, its mostly true. The nicad packs were easy to knock off where as the LiION packs have energy management built into the cells, or into the tools which make it difficult for third party batteries. This is due to the need to not run LiION cells down dead, so it does have to do with the battery technology, and not just an effort to make them proprietary (like ink jet cartridges). It still stinks though.

5 Likes