Power tool company Makita sells a coffee machine

At my house, with my short attention span, that’s the ‘Stove-top Cleaner’: I’ll forget ot watch it boil, it boils all over the stove-top, I spend the next 15 minutes cleaning it up!

Also, don’t pack it full of cocoa and use it to scald milk for hot chocolate. Again, all over the stove-top.

1 Like

I had a dead NiCad pack rebuilt by Batteries Plus, and when it came back, it worked circles around the factory packs. YMMV

4 Likes

I would kind of expect that depending on how old the pack was. There has been a steady increase in cell power density over the years. Now you are seeing 3Ah packs using 5 cells for your 18-20V setups. Where in times past this was done with 10 cells.

3 Likes

OMG I need to add this to my tool collection!
Can’t believe that this is not a battery charger as well.

1 Like

Just came out with a 6Ah that is the same size and weight!

Does the 18v make faster or stronger coffee than the 12v?

1 Like

I blew myself up, in Greece, with a lead acid scuba diving torch. The commercial alternatives at the time cost thousands so my dad built his own and engineered it against stupendous pressure, because why not? We had it charging off the 12V circuit in our van and when I went to use it I didn’t realize it had rather a lot of gaseous hydrogen and oxygen inside.

4 Likes

Left and centre: equipment for making Kaffee. (2 different sizes.)
Right: equipment for making cafė.
The little electric hot plate is originally meant for a chafing dish, but a perfect fit for a standard size Italian coffee maker. And a lot cheaper than ‘dedicated’ hot plates for coffee makers.
Not shown: electric kettle.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Battery packs are a classic example of a problem capitalism sucks at solving. Everyone would prefer to use a standard battery, but if have to set up their own battery department, then they’re going to make sure no one else can profit from their work.

It’s not obvious Makita even benefits from vendor lock-in, since it cuts both ways, i.e. it makes it harder for them to sell anything to DeWalt or Festool customers. They do get to customize the shape of their 'teries, but eventually that’ll converge, because everyone’s solving the same problems. You end up with the cells inside the battery packs becoming standardised (and possibly coming from the same factory), and then all the tool vendors are doing is wrapping a standard part in a proprietary shell. So you have whole production lines making components whose sole function is to make capitalism work less efficiently.

(That said, and despite not using Makita tools, I do want one of these)

Yeah, just hit that issue. My wife wanted a rechargeable fan. Did DeWalt make one that worked with my workshop system? Did they fuck. Bought a whole new li-ion ecosystem.

BC factoid. WorkSafe inspectors will ding you for having music playing at a worksite. Safety distraction that might cause accidents, apparently.

3 Likes

Morning coffee isn’t a time I want to do work. It’s a time I want my Capresso automatic bean grinder / coffee maker with timer to do it for me so I can stumble to the pot and mainline it. :grinning:

3 Likes

I was so overjoyed with my cordless 14.4 Makita circular saw, I built a giant pergola and burned through one of the 2 battery packs by the second summer. When Batteries Plus re-built it, the technology hadn’t had time to evolve much, but I do think their internal cells must have a higher quality, or maybe there was a bad solder in the factory packs.

BTW, dropped the circular saw from the top of a ladder for the umpteenth time. Now, I have to replace the contacts I broke. I guess I could just start wearing it on a chain around my neck, like Flavor-Flav:

1 Like

Dad Tech :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Despite the shortcomings mentioned, I’ve found that the Makita 18V Li-ion batteries do charge up fairly quick. Often faster than I discharge one in my drill-driver through steady usage. YMMV.

Ni one needs coffee to wake up.

1 Like

No, but you don’t want to meet me before my first cup. :wink:

wait, what? Batteries Plus works on batteries? I have a faulty Ryobi 40v 5mah battery that i’m about to send back for factory reconditioning… by your experience, would this be something better dealt with through Batteries Plus?

1 Like

Well…yeah! I dropped it off, picked it up [some time] later, and the only way you could tell it had been re-built was a tiny, tiny smear of gray epoxy, and it ran better than when it was new. Of course, I’m really hard on my stuff, so it’s possible I’d run the original factory pack down too far and too fast, but I wound up looking for that smear of epoxy when I needed a battery pack that I could count on to last away from the home charger. It did cost as much as just buying a new pack, but again - it came back the best one, and I’ve got about 6-7 packs, now.

Once, while trying fruitlessly to pick up a part for my brother’s DeWalt at the official DeWalt parts dealership, I saw the clerks telling all the people waiting in line that only the factory could re-build the battery packs, and that dead packs were worthless, and everyone in line better’d just toss 'em into a big shipping crate already half-full of batteries for ‘recycling’*. The clerk overheard me telling the guy in line ahead of me about Batteries Plus and she gave me the stink-eye and said, “They won’t work right”, and I countered; and surprisingly, she said my part wasn’t in stock and I’d have to wait at least a month. Me:“Oh, I’ll just order it online - it’s faster.” DeWalt Parts Distributor on Mississippi West of Santa Fe Don’t do business there!

*What do YOU think was going to happen to that shipping crate full of dead battery packs? Do you think, like I do, that the DeWalt clerks were getting a core credit for shipping them back to be factory re-built, and then sold as new?

1 Like