Powerful new PSA reminds owners to secure their guns from children

That’s what makes this PSA so powerful. Cuts to the bone, and right through some of the flimsiest arguments for not locking that handgun in a safe, unloaded, with a trigger lock properly applied (and the key on a keychain not accessible to the kid).

6 Likes

To look at from the other side: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/08/ttag-contributor/ad-council-mis-fires-in-new-campaign/

IMO, firearms need to be under owner control at all times, meaning on your person, reasonably secured in a locked container (this is sort of difficult given how crappy most locks are), or under your supervision in use.

Even though this PSA is dished up by some of the more “anti-2A” usuals, I agree with its message. Drilling down to the website they advocate doing the following:
1 - Evaluate your situation
2 - Store guns secure and inaccessible away from children and guests (Use the right type of device to secure (not all locks may be compatible with all guns))
3 - Store gun separate from ammo
4 - Discuss gun safety with your family

I’m not convinced #3 is an essential, but it certainly is an additional precaution you can take.

So that is all sound advice and other than #3 absolutely mirrors what is taught and emphasized by the big nasty NRA https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/

Without a citation it is difficult to know where they are pulling the 8 kids a day number. Some of the usual complaints about stats like these are that the definition of “child” is equated with “Juvenile” which often includes high death count ‘criminal on criminal’ killing/deaths group of late teenagers. They do differentiate here and say that the 8 per day is specific to “Family Fire” which they define as “a shooting involving an improperly stored gun”. Note that it is not defined as family members shooting themselves or each other (doesn’t mean those are excluded but it is interesting given the FAMILY term). I’m guessing many of these are from the criminal activity group using a firearm obtained from an adult living in the same residence, along with suicides, and that most of these aren’t necessarily parents. But that is just my guess knowing where these numbers often come from.

ETA: I initally missed the part about the 8 a day stat including “injured” as well. That definitely broadens the pool of a lot, to the point of not being meaningful if most of it is criminal activity.

Unfortunately they don’t provide the definition of what an “improperly stored” gun means. The numbers could involve unsecured firearms which were stolen which could drastically broaden the numbers as well, but that really seems like stretching the definition, so I don’t think it is that.

The NRA does promote safe storage. Probably more than any other organization.

In many places, there are probably more child safety laws and liabilities for backyard swimming pools.

2 Likes

Also, how many guns get STOLEN out of houses each year during break ins? I bet a fair number of the guns that end up being used in various crimes come from those boosted from people’s houses during robberies.

5 Likes

Nice use of tension building sounds, lighting and music.

I took it as he was reflecting on his own reasons for having the gun that lead to his kid killing himself, based on the flow of the conversation, and how the TV was on a news-sounding channel when he snapped out of it, with no signs of the kid in the room at all.

4 Likes

Ah. Wow. I hadn’t thought of that, but I think you’re right. chills

2 Likes

I have not heard an admonishment about safe storage following a school shooting. They jump straight to victim blaming. I am actually for gun rights but somehow the NRA has jumped on the right wing nutjob crazy train.

2 Likes

What if he is reviewing the reasons he’d have if he had a child, but then he realizes that there’s something odd about this imaginary kid, and then Bruce Willis says he sees dead people and then the kid is a robot from the future, and nanobots are in his sandwiches and there seems to be a fireworks stand like at every store he goes to but it’s not fourth of July and then he keeps finding pencils behind his ear but they’re erasers on both ends and he went paperless anyway in the 80’s like we all were going to

but yours makes more sense

2 Likes

Maybe, but yours sounds more fun.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.