Preachy San Francisco fliers scold adults on screen time

[Read the post]

6 Likes

Not enough likes for this.

While I am guilty when in the house I am good at making sure the chores get done and such and since internet is the one media outlet in the house we all tend to do our own thing on our own screen, all in the same room.

But if I am out and about I am paying attention to the outside, the other people, life, what my kid is doing, etc. My one device/vice for then is the Nook and thatā€™s pretty much the same thing as MrsTobinLā€™s bagful of books for me and 90% of the time it is out it is when waiting for food to be served when it is just me at the table.

7 Likes

Ha! Knew it was my old neighborhood: you go Bernal Heights!
The last villageā€¦ rumor had it there were still a dirt road or two when we moved in there 2-3 decades ago. Fire department had em pave it over so they could get their trucks everywhere. Might have been an urban legend.

We used to call it ā€˜maternal hillā€™ Love walking the hill all the way up to get a nice dose of microwave radiation at the top there, mm mm good!

5 Likes

How is reading a book less distracting than using my phone? What if Iā€™m reading a book on my phone, does that get your approval or does it need to be printed on artisanal paper to properly convey the meaning of the author? What if Iā€™m reading Trumpā€™s ā€œbookā€?

26 Likes

Preachy San Franciscoā€¦

But I repeat myself.

15 Likes

They never tell you to limit book time, do they? Maybe books are healthier than computers. Or maybe you kids get off my lawn.

9 Likes

No. Youā€™re supposed to stare adoringly at your child 24/7.

My parents sucked!

18 Likes

38 Likes

Stop using new media and only use approved old media.

To do anything else would be an abomination and the ruination of children who were perfect back in the day and now are out of control.

6 Likes

Itā€™s everyoneā€™s personal choice, either way; regardless as to what ā€˜meansā€™ are used to reach either goal.

1 Like

So, theyā€™re trying to get people to go outside by ā€¦ putting up notices outside? Seems to be a slight flaw in their plan.

8 Likes

Also, guys. Guys. We need to :heart: each other. Make time to :heart: another human being today.

15 Likes

ā€œBe present for our kidsā€

ā€¦technically they could care less about what you do around your own children, they want us all to focus on theirsā€¦

10 Likes

Hey. Hey!! Put down that phone and tell my kid heā€™s adorable!

4 Likes

So it was you? :anguished:

1 Like

:heart: you!

(Is it okay to :heart: an internet person? Because I donā€™t think I can handle :heart:ing a real person.)

5 Likes

Your mom did, but you donā€™t see me complaining.

2 Likes

Yeah, well guess I set myself for that one. Damn! Iā€™m not working with teenagers anymore so Iā€™m out of practice! :wink:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about this comic a lot lately. The thing is, my son will walk away from the TV to play with Legos or cars or run around, but he will stay at the computer watching YouTube, or playing video games* for quite literally hours without a break. Thereā€™s something different there. II prefer the interaction of a game to TV consumption, but I also prefer that he can leave TV easily.

* Mappy, Xevious, New Rally-X, and Pac-man variants. Iā€™m so proud! If he can learn to end game time without a tantrum then I might just acquire one of those Atari Flashback consoles around his birthday, totally by coincidence.

5 Likes

Skinner boxes man. An interactive game is a much better Skinner box than a passive TV display.

I donā€™t watch TV at all anymore. The closest thing to TV that I do now is watch Twitch streams and talk in chat. Itā€™s far more rewarding playing grabass in chat while watching someone play a game I like than just sitting there on the couch watching a show that goes for 30 minutes but 11 of those minutes being carefully crafted financial brainwashing.

4 Likes