Procedurally generated infinite CVS receipt

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/23/longer-longer-longer.html

7 Likes

Environmentally Friendly

4 Likes

If I worked there, I expect this would be hilarious!

2 Likes

Idk, considering the yards of them already in my possession, and knowing there’s more to be unspooled every time I go there, I think I’m already living the infinite CVS receipt. :thinking:

I almost never use the coupons and just hope they’re as recyclable as I’ve been believing them to be.

2 Likes

CVS’s long receipts are freakin’ ridiculous;

19 Likes

That barcode is procedurally the same everywhere.

1 Like

Shhhhh! It’s the only way we can overwhelm the corporates back into utter indifference about us.

1 Like

If only I still had a dot matrix printer . . .

3 Likes

Like any other ‘procedurally generated’ store receipt, there is virtually no coupon on those receipts for anything I want to buy. They expire ridiculously fast, too, so even if I needed to buy $12 worth of shampoo, I’m not coming back in 3 days to do it.

3 Likes

Have an Extra Care card? have coupons sent to it instead of printed on your receipt.

earned extra bucks are legit $$ as are the deals they send out, all on things you already buy. this fall I got 30 and 40% off entire order coupons every month from Sept-Dec.

2 Likes

I send coupons to the extra care card, and downloaded the app. I still get the receipt novel.
While most of the coupons are for items I won’t use in a relevant amount of time, there are occassionally useful extra care bucks or $ off the next purchase.

2 Likes

there’s a setting in the app to send all deals and coupons to the app and to your email. I haven’t gotten coupons on a receipt in 8 years. I’d check your settings.

edit: in app under account > digital receipt preferences

2 Likes

the trick is to go in and buy only one small thing from whatever you need, and then get the long strip of coupons - sometimes you strike it lucky with a 40% off, and then you do the rest of your shopping right then.

3 Likes

ish.

pixels ain’t free

I’m going to have to disagree with you on the finite CVS receipt thing.

I went there last fall to buy some batteries and band-aids, and got what appears to be an infinite receipt. I’ve been burning it in the fireplace since then to heat my home, and it’s still going strong (sorry everyone, I may just be responsible for releasing an infinite amount of carbon into the atmosphere).

6 Likes

I think it would be better if it was only as long as the maximum possible length of an actual roll of receipt paper, and included the “approaching end of roll” stripe

Skeumorphism ftw!

4 Likes

But is it Turing complete?

In other words:

Is it CVS receipts all the way down?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.