Profiles of flat earthers: report from the front lines of weaponized media literacy

He’s part of the cover-up, obviously. Where’s your proof that this so-called Rob Bullen even exists? /s

The only reason they don’t fall on the discworld is because Great Atuin actively dodges them, or occasionally snaps the oncoming rock up as a snack.

I Don’t know if these guys believe in a world turtle. But they kind of need it, and possibly four elephants for the rest of their dumbass cosmology to make sense.

3 Likes

The Terry Pratchett version relies heavily on C being something like a hundred miles an hour on the Disc. C is so slow that sitting on a broomstick powered carriage going 60 mph the way ahead is noticably brighter and blueish, and the land behind you is somewhat dim and redder than it ought to be.

4 Likes

Thats good. I’d be afraid one large enough would punch a hole in the ocean floor and drain the ocean :confused:

3 Likes

It gets more insane. Once you reach the “alien HD screen which projects the sky” point, then pretty much everything is possible.

As much as I hate the flat earth movement, my favorite internet comedy subculture is the alternative earth shapes.

5 Likes

Makes me wonder how many of these same people believe that supply-side economics is just common sense and definitely not a conspiracy perpetrated by the elite.

3 Likes

This is tangentially related to flat earthers, but also totally relevant:* they talk about the fallacy of YouTube videos, which I (and many others) think is largely to blame for the modern flat earth movement – that of people a) not being properly educated, and b) going on YouTube to do their “research flat earth” thing, which creates an isolation chamber …

*(as in they talk about flat earther Eric Dubay now talking about how dinosaurs never existed)

(The points are at the beginning of the video and especially at 6:01)

I’m so glad my Mom has no idea what Youtube is.

2 Likes

Clearly these people have poor reasoning skills but the thing is they think they are clever. They think they know something that others don’t and that makes them feel special. It could be flat earth or it could be the earth is only 6000 years old or that vaccines cause autism.

1 Like

Anyone know how they resolve the fact that, given enough time, matter in zero G always arranges itself into a spheroid shape and will be constantly trying to return to that shape no matter how much outside energy is used to force it into a flat disk, and that the amount of constant energy input required to maintain this disk shape would melt the earth’s crust and vaporize the oceans? Asking for a friend.

Most of them don’t actually know any of these facts, and if you tell them about it, they don’t understand the maths behind it, or just claim it’s a hoax.

1 Like

To get a sense of what this looks like in depth, check out Ross and Carrie’s interview with flat earther Mark Sargent, which is some of the most chilling audio I’ve heard in the past year.

You must chill easily, Cory. Would you like me to knit you a scarf?

They’re just jelly because they never win space battles.

2 Likes

I browse YT without an account, use an adblocker and noscript and clean out cookies, but all I get on that browser are similar videos to the ones I’ve already watched (sending me down a clickhole). noscript may help, but I think logging into an account is where things go wrong here, because an account implies an underlying profile that the system is desperate to build and refine.

From the way these particular videos keep popping up, it also sounds like the flat earth video people have figured out a way to game the recommendation algorithm in a similar way to how the creepy kids video people did.

I spent an hour or so blocking all the flat earth channels on my YouTube. I imagine that they create new channels all the time, but I don’t see them. Maybe YouTube has figured out that I don’t want to see them, but I’m unconvinced. (Google News is fixated that I want to see Marvel stuff. I am, but not when it clogs my news feed. As I say that I’m not interested in Avengers, Guardian of the Galaxy, etc, it keeps adding new pathways to Marvel. Eventually it’ll be convinced that I’m totally interested in that guy in Deadpool II whose only super power seems to be male white privilege. “That’s not a super power.” “Yes it is.”)

3 Likes

discworld-turtle

4 Likes

And fallen off, thank you very much!

2 Likes

You’ve given their intellectual powers too much credit here.

1 Like

From seeing Flat Earther stuff online, it seems that 90% of them are self-aware trolls who chose the goofiest conspiracy theory ever as their hill to die on.

The other 10%, who actually believe in it, didn’t get the joke.

2 Likes