Protests over retirement age raise "bring France to a standstill"

Yeah, I liked that for the cop part, because their pensions are better funded than those for other civil service workers and teachers in too many places.

Change football player to coach or some other administration post in college or pro ball, and the original argument works much better.

6 Likes

Since nobody has said it yet, I wish to acknowledge the Mille Bornes themed protest sign. That’s the Frenchest thing ever and more than a few Canadians should appreciate it too. :grin:

13 Likes

I loved that game as a kid! Still do!

8 Likes

I recognized it immediately and realized I need to find a new copy. We played that unendingly as kids!

8 Likes

INCREVABLE! 

2 Likes

I’ve pretty much assumed that it won’t be around for me. I am a stay at home mom and will probably have to rejoin the workforce for us to get even a moderate retirement savings. I think our current plan is to die in the climate wars?

7 Likes

part of this is simply geography. americans are so spread out, that it’s much more difficult to do national simultaneous protests - and it’s even more difficult for people to fully shutdown the country

could you imagine what something like standing rock would have looked like if it were possible for people to shuttle back and forth between it and their homes?

same for most protests that happen in dc. it’s difficult for most people to get there. you’ve got to have both time and money if you’re coming from anywhere west or south

6 Likes

I am very lucky to have a final sal pension, because i have been in this dead end job for 21 years, so am on “super old” council contracts, What i real need is the council to make me redundant over the age of 53, as my contract is so old that if i am made redundant over the age of 53 it shall be consider that i am far, far to old to start a new carrier and must be able to claim my pension with out reduction or penality for claiming it early…

So here we have the dichotomy that just 20 years ago, 53 was considered to old to start a new job, and now in the UK i i wont get state pension till 78, or be able to claim the very same pensions till 78, that’s a big gap…

7 Likes

In terms of in-person protests, this is true. However, we have seen bad actors figuring out how to negatively impact large groups of people from a distance. That’s the downside of institutions and individuals relying too heavily on insecure tech solutions. Social media hacking and ransomware continue to cause a lot of problems.
OTOH, digital activism can be very effective. How that is used is an ongoing battle. :fist:t4:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.