Public school plays "The Lion King" to raise funds, Disney hits it with a bill for one-third of proceeds

We’ve ritualized the giving of donations in a number of ways. For me the test is whether anyone would show up if it were not a donation. Like if you rented a private space and put the lion king on a low quality projector and charged the same amount for tickets, who would show up? If the answer is nobody then they were not selling tickets. Anyway, I got my warning to let others in the conversation so this is my last thought on the matter.

That sounds like it would have been right up my alley.

I think the most likely explanation is that Move Licensing USA scans Facebook and Twitter for ads for school movie nights.

Disney IP lawyers likely have some kind of tool to track specific businesses and groups that they think most likely to use Disney properties. Churches, schools, day cares, camps, etc, etc. As soon as one of them puts up an advertisement online for their event they will know if it was licensed or not. My curiosity is how do they know when its stuff that is IRL and hasn’t been online, do they keep a long standing bounty/offer? How do they advertise it or who do they reach out to? Seems difficult to scale nationwide but clearly something’s been set up.

1 Like

But pretty well everything is online, right? Public schools have Facebook pages.

Yeah but if you go back 20 years and further back they were somehow still catching people doing this so they clearly have a system in place to check online and offline and i wonder what the IRL method might be.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.