Quitting Facebook feels GREAT

A quick review of the history of the papacy will show how easily people manage to do this.

5 Likes

We are expressing frustration with an interactive communications service that makes us miserable.

I’m not bragging, I want to be able to use the service and have to take hiatuses because the service is designed to get you interacting whether you want to or not, independent of the way you prefer to communicate.

But your comment was only another side of that identity game, and not interested in actual discussion versus the usual hipster/antihipster slapfests.

12 Likes

I did a similar thing. I stopped following literally everyone. The place where the feed is is just blank. I still have access to everyone but I don’t have to put up with all the crap.

4 Likes

Same here. I tried to lead the charge to Google+ and hoped Diaspora would catch on, but Facebook is the AOL of the contemporary internet. My parents just joined. It was such a blessing before they joined. Now my Snopes article referencing reflex is getting exercise.

15 Likes

Yeah, and the youngins’ seem to be completely uninterested in FB.

7 Likes

Yeah, my teenage nieces and nephews aren’t very active. It’s mostly friends and coworkers in their 30s and 40s with about half as many old relatives.

4 Likes

One of my friends is famous (in Canada). He’s on FB and his fans tag him in all sorts of shit and I have to be careful not to tag him and that if I do the photos aren’t public lest his fans show up in my mentions (very weird when that happens). When messenger rolled out the “messenger is now a phone” update, it also allowed any FB user to “phone” any other FB user. He lasted about 5 minutes after the update before fans started calling his cell phone via messenger. And you can’t turn that off. You can only uninstall messenger.

12 Likes

It’s the Nickleback guy, isn’t it?

15 Likes

LOL - no, but that would be cool!

And its not Rick Mercer either.

6 Likes

I never really got onto the FB wagon. I know that I’m missing out on long lost friends, former co-workers, etc, but FB is just so creepy, I can’t help feeling slimy after going into it.

What pissed me off when I started exploring it was how sneaky the web app is. IIRC, when I logged in, it tried to tell me that I had to provide it my phone number. It tried to suck in my address book. The prefs were always really confusing, and I got the feeling that it was confusing on purpose. And I kept reading how the privacy policies changed, almost daily.

Yeah, I get that same look. Not unlike when I tell people that I’m veg-curious. But it depends on the audience, but yeah, that’s the general response I get.

This FB fad has lasted longer than it needed. I sure hope that it’s AOLing already.

13 Likes

This may help:

4 Likes

Never having signed up for FB feels even more greater.

22 Likes

Get out before it eats your brain. Seriously!

6 Likes

That might work, but some of the family are “older” and may not have smartphones so they only do the FB on the computer.

Is it that one guy? In the show about the people doing the things?

I knew it!!

8 Likes

Yeah… People just couldn’t communicate before Facebook. Once someone left your town, they were gone forever.

6 Likes

That’s what I used to think. But once your friends start sharing stuff on FB with your email address, FB already knows about you, and welcomes you with open arms when you finally arrive. Like Wells Fargo, opening accounts for you when you didn’t even ask for them. Creepy.

4 Likes

Hey, if those baby seals didn’t want their tears harvested, they wouldn’t be crying “arf! arf!” all the time. Sheesh.

4 Likes

I may be an outlier here. Facebook has legitimately changed my life for the better. It hasn’t always: for most of the time I’ve had my account it’s been a wasteful time sink. However it’s helped me form an offline social life after moving to a new state where I knew no one. I wouldn’t have found my IRL friends here without first meeting them through Facebook Groups and Events.

13 Likes

I totally agree. I started using them when they were university-only. Something about it appealed to my Asperger’s, and it was totally so much more highbrown than, ugh, MySpace. Then they kept trying to give people less and less of a reason to visit, you know, the rest of the internet.

But, yeah, now it’s totally AOL, only far more annoying. Just wait for them to start mailing out CDs or something.

2 Likes