Rash of butter burglaries plaguing Guelph groceries

Originally published at: Rash of butter burglaries plaguing Guelph groceries - Boing Boing

3 Likes

The price of butter now astonishes me.
£3 for a standard stick (or thereabouts).
You wouldn’t need to nick much to make a grand’s worth.

2 Likes

That seems high. I can buy 4 sticks here for under $5.

2 Likes

Guess how much a half-litre of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is in our local supermarket…

3 Likes

Consumer butter is usually 30/36 lbs to the case, though I’ve seen half-case 15/18 packaging too.

If 4 cases cost $958, even if that’s the expected retail sales price and not the actual cost, that’s some very expensive butter.

1 Like

I’m afraid I can’t follow the math here, though I don’t doubt your accuracy.

A standard stick is, what, 200g?

Would you mind calculating the price of a stick for me?

Just not in hamster-girth or banana-length, ta.

3 Likes

In the US, 4 sticks is a pound. I have no idea how many grams that is because 'Murica. But if there are 36 lbs in a case, then that case would be something under $180. USD. I have no idea what the current exchange rate is, but I can see a shopping cart full of butter adding up to almost $1000 Canadian. It seems plausible anyway.

3 Likes

What’s that in the firkin-furlong-fortnight-farthing system?

I calculate one shilling and sixpence for a dram of butter, if you buy it on a Wednesday.

7 Likes

Still amazingly cheap, colour me envious.

The butter my Dad insists on is something called “Yeo”, salted “country” butter - £3.62 per 200g.

As to the Olive Oil I mentioned earlier - Felipe Berrio (or whatever) Extra Virgin - £11.50 for half a litre.

£23.00 a litre.

Both Greece and Italy have had horrible wildfires this year, 100-year old Olive groves burnt to the ground.

I blurred the above because of incredulity.

2 Likes

For butter in the US, I think it’s the pat-stick-pound-tub system.

3 Likes

Guelph groceries

So they’re groceries that support the pope in his struggle against the Holy Roman emperor?

5 Likes

The grocery store brand of EVOO for my store is about $10 for 17 fluid ounces. That’s about half a liter. Who knows if the store brand really is EVOO, though. The Felipe Berio is normally about $15 for 3/4 of a liter, but that’s currently on sale for $11. Damn, if I weren’t about to move, I’d go buy some.

2 Likes

Oh, hold on.
My apologies.
In my UK brain I read that as a stick of butter is 25p.

Yeah, I know, knobhead me.

9 Likes

smør-panik strikes again.

Ah, yeah that would change the math quite a bit. 4 sticks is a pound in weight. One stick is also 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons. US culinary measurements are soooooo simple.

3 Likes

I knew both of these facts, and yet never put them together and now my mind is blown.

2 Likes

I was at the wholesale food market to today and butter in sticks was $4.17 for 458gms, or 1#. The blocks of the same weight were $4.07. My olive oil comes from a company in California and is about 20$/liter. I wish I could still find a nice Spanish olive oil around here that wasn’t three times that price.

2 Likes

A stick of butter in Canada is 125g if you’re dumb enough to buy butter by the stick. It costs about CAD$3.50 to do that which is insane considering that a pound of butter (454g) costs CAD$7.50 on average (£4.25, maybe?). This isn’t fancy butter, though… you can pay a lot more for butter if you’re so inclined.

2 Likes

Not that different to here then, considering.

The base unit in Canada is the charlie.

A stick is about 9.45 millicharlies.

15 Likes