Readying to sell off, Reddit shuts off third-party clients

They can try and take old reddit away from me, but if they do, I’m done. Won’t use that craptastic “new” format, it blows, just like most modern app sites do. Capitalism indeed insures all good things come to an end as profits uber alles reigns.

Maybe we should go back to Usenet news (which is what you said of course). :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This may be the boomer in me, but I pretty much never use an app for anything if there’s a browser version.

I just don’t trust Reddit (or anyone else) to not use the access that an app would give them to engage in hanky-panky.

Even on my phone, I use a browser (Firefox).

15 Likes

Yup. If I have to install an app to participate in an online community I don’t need that community. Even though I’m still using Facebook, I have neither the main app nor FB Messenger installed on my phone. Makes it a little more difficult as Meta deliberately breaks mobile web functionality to drive people to the app (for example, you can’t use the web version of messenger at all unless you’re viewing the desktop version of the site) but it’s worth the inconvenience not to have that shit on my phone.

16 Likes

… at this point the Venn diagram intersection of “usenet” and “smartphones” seems to contain only dedicated piracy tools :confused:

6 Likes

Dave Rhodes, is that you?

Also remember Canter & Siegel. So yeah, we’re old.

7 Likes

HOLY CRAP, I FORGOT ABOUT THEM.

/me crying into my whisky about how old I am

5 Likes

There are still a few holdouts there to this day. (OK, nearly all of the groups I used to follow are dead, but a few still get daily traffic.)

4 Likes

Yes, and command-line C-shell Unix, and Elm or Pine for e-mail. And yes, get those kids off my lawn, too.

I tried explaining this to my 24-year old son, and he was amazed. “Lawyers got disbarred for spamming?” “Yes, and Joel Furr made t-shirts to commemorate the entire thing.”

9 Likes

Lots of subreddits are ‘going dark’ on June 12th-14th to protest what Reddit is doing. Wonder if it’ll make any difference at all.

5 Likes

Feels like this sort of action, monetizing every single aspect of a feed, and others (predatory algorithms, toxic communities etc.) will push people to change how we consume. Would love a browser plugin that ran on my PC so that I could have one browser logged into all my sites and then filter the toxic, the click bait and the rest of the weaponized internet. This filtered feed could then be severed to whatever screen I want, when I want.

2 Likes

I’m surprised they didn’t go with an authenticated API then only allow paid users to use third party clients. Seems like the blowback would’ve died down a lot more quickly.

1 Like

That could be said for most mobile apps. :man_shrugging:

oddly enough, not so much for 3rd party reddit clients

2 Likes
2 Likes

Doctorow’s doctrine of “enshitification”

3 Likes

watching reddit go the way of digg really, really sucks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.