Reasons to switch to Firefox

What @Mankoi said, but also in my scenario - I have ADHD. If I bookmark a tab, I completely forget about it, so I leave them open as if they are a tasklist of things to deal with. I work on projects, such as researching a particular time period or location for a book I wrote. So I search Google Images and Pinterest for 1930s clothing styles and images of the actual city the story was set in. And every search result on both platforms suggests other, similar images, so I open those as well so I don’t lose track of them.

The analog analog is that my desk is a mess because if I clean it, I’ll forget the items on it and never deal with them. But I also won’t be dealing with them yet.

1 Like

Wouldn’t fault her for that. I use Alpine personally.

I also use Thunderbird as my email client. It does everything I need it to do. The Lightning calendar is also nice.

1 Like

Because the feeling of being uninformed is intolerable, and it’s alleviated by believing you’ll eventually read the contents of all those tabs.

Also, because each group of tabs helps with a task, and when you’re juggling multiple tasks you want different tabs at different times. That’s what Tab Groups a.k.a. Tab Candy a.k.a. Panorama was for, except it was removed from the browser, then reborn as an add-on, then discontinued as an add-on because the add-on author wasn’'t getting the support he needed from the browser side of things.

+1 for Thunderbird.
Firefox user since 1.5, and Netscape before that. No way no how is a browser from Google running on my hardware.

That article reads like firefox is the new upstart and not having pre-dated chrome by a good 6 years or so. Long time firefox user myself (i’m not funnelling all my browsing through a google data sump, thanks) but i thought firefox was supposed to be dying on its arse? To the extent that the PTB are clashing over whether it has a future.

As with most vile things on the web, it’s either because Facebook or Google Search wants it. In the case of AMP for BB, Google prioritizes mobile sites with AMP, so we have to have them to play the game. Fun.

We do have some control over how they look, though (not the control bars added by Google, but certainly in the content links) so there’s probably an opportunity to make things more usable there… somewhere.

I am, of course, the outlier here because I actually use Safari on my Mac. In my defense though, this is mostly because my workflow involves switching between desktop/laptop/iPad multiple times a day and handoff and iCloud tabs are really good at that.

It’s also incredibly power efficient on my laptop - Chrome especially seems to want to eat all my battery. sigh

Yeah, I use Safari too. It handles huge piles of tabs a lot better than Firefox or Chrome (both in terms of UX and performance) and is (perhaps obviously) the most Mac-like of the Big Three. Firefox is still the redheaded stepchild when it comes to acting like a native Mac application, though it’s certainly gotten a lot better than it was back in the single-digit-version-number days. Pretty much the only reason I keep Chrome around on my Mac is for the web inspector. Apple inexplicably XCode-ified the one in Safari a few versions back, and ever since then I’ve found it to be a royal pain to use.

That said, at work I’m on a Windows machine, and there I use Chrome for development because it also has good multi-user session support, which comes in very handy when I have to have three different Microsoft Azure accounts open at the same time for various purposes. For anything I don’t want being routed through the Panopticon, I use Vivaldi.

Amen to that. And the same - Chrome’s Web Inspector is the one to beat.

I use iCab on my phone. Not sure how it compares to other non-safari browsers on the iPhone, but I like it. I just have it out of habit from back in the days when it was the only modern choice for pre-OS X Macs.

2 Likes

Time to think about a collaborative, distributed search engine system.

Been using Firefox, since it was in beta.

It is the same on Windows. Edge is far more power efficient than Chrome on Windows, in the same way that Safari is far more power efficient than Chrome on iOS.

Both Edge and Safari are pretty good browsers, too… arguably better than Firefox, sad to say.

4 Likes

I’ve switched back and forth between Firefox and Chrome over the years. Every so often one gets better than the other. Recently, Chrome was a RAM and CPU hog, so I’ve been running Firefox on my PC and it seems much smoother. Also on my phone because it’s the only browser I could get ublock origin to work with. But I run Chrome on my mac because it has the better dev tools. I tried Safari, but like most Mac software, I found it counter-intuitive, frustrating, and somewhat unusable. It hides the most important things from me (like the URL that tells you what page you’re on and the scrollbars that tell you where you are at on the page) and has an odd UI.

You probably don’t want to because you don’t know what it is. It could be an image in the article, a background image, etc. All you know is that it’s supposed to be an image. And sure, you can block all images or just browse in a text mode browser if you want.

It should be ok-ish though, as much as any image served directly from the site, because it’s coming from the server serving the site. It’s not 3rd-party javascript serving 4th-party javascript that serves who knows what garbage.

Ah, that might do it. 20 heavy pages might be as taxing as 60+ more basic ones…

Interestingly, firefox avoids the issue when restoring a browsing session, as each tab only gets loaded when you click on it.
Seems only the bookmark ‘open in tabs’ option bypasses that :stuck_out_tongue:

Me too. Why not?

Our IT Ninja psyched me out today. Got an email saying that this one thing we have to do sometimes only really works from Chrome or Firefox, and then proceeded to explain how we could have Chrome and not Firefox.

Damnit Craig.

When I go to a web page to read something, a blob of text is just the ticket. The Tranquility and Yarip addons for Firefox give me exactly that.

That’s what https://boingboing.net/ascii is for :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“Daaksyde, post:74, topic:103733”]
You probably don’t want to because you don’t know what it is. It could be an image in the article, a background image, etc. All you know is that it’s supposed to be an image. And sure, you can block all images or just browse in a text mode browser if you want.

It should be ok-ish though, as much as any image served directly from the site, because it’s coming from the server serving the site. It’s not 3rd-party javascript serving 4th-party javascript that serves who knows what garbage.[/quote]
The question is, “What are the legitimate purposes of this method in html for standard webpages rather than simply using ‘img=src’?” Every time I’ve run into it, it’s been third party ad services using it.

I certainly can’t find a reason why people should be okay with browsers automatically loading character strings as any kind of data regardless of whether or not it “probably” isn’t malicious. This is a huge problem.