Google killing uBlock Origin, Chrome's most popular ad blocker

Originally published at: Google killing uBlock Origin, Chrome's most popular ad blocker - Boing Boing

7 Likes

Another reason to not use Chrome? Well I never

38 Likes

Thank goodness I don’t use chrome as my main browser

23 Likes

Nobody should use Chrome.

23 Likes

nobody should use google anymore for that matter…

(biggest distributor of ads blocks ad-blocker in biggest-distributor-of-ads-browser? shocking!)

18 Likes

30 Likes

Google has been pretty disappointing for a while now. Glad someone on the BBS recommended Brave. It’s been a much more enjoyable experience.

19 Likes

So a corporation whose one part relies on advertising money kills a product that hampers that on another part of its ecosystem.

Smells like a monopoly to me. Probably not the best move at a time when they’re being investigated for exactly that

32 Likes

“Yes, but…” Brave is based on Chromium, so won’t that mean UBI will also not work in Brave?

10 Likes

Someone can keep Manifest v2 in a Chromium branch if they wish. IIRC, MS said they’re keeping v2 support. Whether they’ll keep that up :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

Maybe me! I’ve recommend Brave here several times. I’m shocked by how many ads appear when I occasionally use Google on someone else’s device.

13 Likes

Do you mean uBO, as in uBlockOrigin? If so, that doesn’t matter when it comes to ads, because the whole point of Brave is that it blocks ads. It’s pretty much like Chrome wirh uBO built into it. There’s no reason to add uBO to it.

7 Likes

My Pihole continues to make me oblivious to this stuff. Probably to my detriment.

12 Likes

ETA:
The Register’s take on this is characteristically Perfection.

2 Likes

15 Likes

Wait, I see Brave there. So this means Brave will no longer be able to block ads?

1 Like

I have used FireFox for years, and every time something like this happens I’m glad. I did try Chrome a few years ago and really didn’t like it, so back to FF I came. UbO works just great on it, so far, knock wood.

15 Likes

Firefox is also available on mobile:

12 Likes

And, with a little patience there’s also Ladybird in the doing…
Alpha version for brave users (pun intended? I dunno, you decide…) foreseen in 2026, so it will take time, but they are really starting from almost scratch.
Personally, I’m hopeful but not too confident they’ll pull it out. :crossed_fingers:

For me it’s been Firefox since its 0.something version.
Pihole* + uBO (only uBO on mobile), for both Windows and Linux.

I do not see any ads (unless I explicitly enable a site) and the amount of crap I see when I use someone else’s unfiltered PC for any reason never fails to leave me dumbfounded - my internet is different.

*On a minimal Debian server install in a Hyper-V VM, as a even a Pi3 would severely choke bandwidth and latency and dedicating a 4 or 5 would be a waste.

13 Likes

“Don’t be evil.”

16 Likes