Google killing uBlock Origin, Chrome's most popular ad blocker

it all boils down to v2 support (vs v3 in chrome) as sqlrob mentioned and as far as brave goes, they already said they support v2 (e/ till next year) as far as I remember. the mental outlaw had a not too bad overview of the details last week (and how someone can allegedly use uBlock for another year in chrome);

2 Likes

Firefox has always worked just fine for me. I never understood why so many folks made the jump to Chrome.

13 Likes

Should I jump from Brave to Firefox? I’ve never understood all the praise for the latter.

3 Likes

Keep at least half an eye on Brave if you stick with it.

11 Likes

I love Firefox, but close up that logo looks disturbingly trumpian.

11 Likes

It’s never been about how great Firefox is (kept alive at the whim of the monopolists as it is) but how shit all the others are.

I don’t trust Brave - ads are its business and it is run by very dodgy people - and ditched it years ago.

15 Likes

If you want to block almost any ad after june 2025 (definitive end of v2 manifest), I would say yes.

6 Likes

Brave’s blocking is independent of the manifests.

6 Likes

Firefox was going through a bit of a bad patch when chrome came on the scene. It had memory issues and could be quite slow with some sites.

Chrome got big because it just optimised for speed above all else. Also it took most of its market share from IE, so there were relatively fewer fox → chrome switchers.

That’s on desktop. On mobile, chrome just dominated by being the default android browser. Also, Firefox mobile took a long time to get good.

17 Likes

but you also absolutly can use uB with brave, right?

If everyone installs ad blockers, sites like BoingBoing cease to exist, at least as we know them. They become volunteer only efforts relying on handouts to cover their hosting bills. Or they move content behind paywalls-- welcome to the streaming media-ification of websites.

All ad-supported digital publishers supporting ad blockers are proud members of the Leopards Eating People’s Faces party.

2 Likes

Yes. And they say they’re going to support it as long as they can.

2 Likes

The number I’ve heard is 50%.

I don’t know about you, but I have bought stuff from the BB store.

10 Likes

If ads were not so incredibly intrusive, I don’t think most people would block them. They could be made less intrusive and consume less of my bandwidth and less of my CPU, but marketing people just don’t think that way. To them, it’s all about eyeballs, and to their way of thinking, if they don’t do it, the other guy will, and it turns into an ever-increasing arms race of enshittification.

25 Likes

wasnt this exactly what I wrote above? :wink:

Bad as well. I allowed the Google Text ads when I was blocking other ads. Some of the ads I saw were so obviously scams, I blocked them since if you can’t bother to vet your ads, I can’t bother to read them. These ads will tell you how long ago it was.

“Get your free PS3 here” - it wasn’t even announced yet.
“Download Star Wars Episode 1 here” - it was still in theaters.

14 Likes

I started using Firefox when it first came out, switching from Internet Explorer.

When Chrome came out, it looked interesting, but by then I had started using ad blockers, and it didn’t have one, so I never switched.

By the time it got one, Google had started doing sketchy things, and I flat-out didn’t trust them, so I continued to use Firefox.

14 Likes

But Chrime didn’t take that long to get bad.

It’s been years since Edge, yes Microsoft’s browser, has left it in the dust speed wise.

There is no worse browser than Chrome. There hasn’t been in many, many years. Simple monopoly power is what makes it the default for much of the world.

5 Likes

Are there any migration features or tools to move from chrome to Firefox?

3 Likes

Mobile Firefox was still better than Mobile Chrome as soon as it supported extensions.

4 Likes