Reborn Sound Burger turntable sells out

Originally published at: Reborn Sound Burger turntable sells out | Boing Boing

5 Likes

If it doesn’t work out for me as a turntable, I shall use it to angle grind chocolate cake.

Honestly, now that you’ve mentioned it, I just want to see a video of it being used that way. Maybe with a record with some teeth cut into it.

1 Like

[gormless nerdly query ahead] So why can’t the ‘needle’ and cartridge be replaced with a suitably spectrum’ed laser to pick up the reflection/interference off the v-shaped two channel groove? That is, avoid the frictional contact scraping away the vinyl …? (“ya lose all the ‘warmth’ wif #$! lasers!” Goldfinger disagrees)

1 Like

Such a thing exists, but has limitations. Like, more limitations than regular turntables.

Laser turntable - Wikipedia

6 Likes

Looks to be available currently?

For $199 though, I’ll stick with my ~20 year old Numark. (I might be tempted if you could mount it vertically on the wall for an extra kick of novelty, but that wouldn’t work).

Mat Taylor reviewed it on his Techmoan channel.

6 Likes

Glad you got one!
Last year I emailed their customer service to see if there was a newsletter I could sign up for to be notified when this thing was re-released, to which they replied, No.
Have you been monitoring the website? Where did you get word of the re-release?
Doesn’t seem available in Canada, but are already being flipped on ebay.

That’s his name, Mat?

I’ve been watching him for years and just assumed Techmoan was short for Techarles Moanaski. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was street kid in Ottawa back in my day who rocked one of these. A crate of records and this - all his worldly possessions. One of his discs was “Flying Teapot” - my introduction to Gong.

1 Like

Speaking of nostalgic audio gear. I had an amplifier and a separate AM/FM turner with each component nested vertically in a Lucite stand back in the early 1980s. I don’t remember if the set came with speakers but when I paired them up with some Bose 301s the sound was phenomenal. I haven’t seen anything like it since then. Anyone have any idea what I’m trying to describe here. I’d let to get another one of these space saving combos but for the life of me I cannot remember the brand name?

I’m not sure if this will help but I purchased it in the Homestead AFB PX back in the late 70s/early 80s. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Damn, woulda been a fun get - had been hunting these, Sony F5/F9/Q7 models, some of the funky vertical Mitsubishi models, etc. The linear trackers I’ve got are more than adequate, but quirky is fun.

1 Like

A bunch of companies made those, mostly C-tier and lower brands, though a few were rebadged with higher quality names (for use as entry-level products). The components were generally unremarkable, but you found the magic solution of replacing the speakers with good ones and then they sounded pretty darn ok. Service Merchandise sold some, most of the department stores did too. The ones I remember were woodgrain vinyl/veneer over particle board, sometimes open-front and sometimes glass door’d, your description of a lucite cabinet should narrow the field quite a bit in image searches, I’d think. Hope you can find an answer!

1 Like

Thanks @Thermironic but it was more of a stand than a cabinet. I’m told the material was probably acrylic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.