Recent bannings and deletions

The community forum of the weekly Die Zeit has an imho great moderation system: Instead of deleting posts the mods change the content.

For posts completey bogus/hateful/deletable the remainder is something like

[removed, against our community guidelines. the mod team]

But many comments are edited, say a long rant is shortened.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam [shortened, hateful and out of scope. the mod team]
3 Likes

Could do without the pretentious Latin, but I like this.

2 Likes

At first I used lorem ipsum as placeholder, but I wanted a realistical beginning of a useless and boring rant. Cato fitā€™s the bill :smile:

eta

Pretentious? Itā€™s the third most common language taught in German schools.

9 Likes

I get a hard copy of Die Zeit, but Iā€™ve noticed that Der Spiegel has limits to its patience:

Dear readers,
Unlike many other articles on SPIEGEL ONLINE, you will find no forum under this text. Unfortunately so many inappropriate, offensive or litigable forum posts reach us on this topic that a scrupulous moderation according to our netiquette rules becomes almost impossible. For this reason, only selected articles on this subject have a forum. We appreciate your understanding.

2 Likes

The comment sections of most mass media sites are toxic, one of the reasons why Iā€™m here and not somewhere else.

Maybe I shouldnā€™t have mentioned the name of the site at all, because I wanted to describe an imo good moderation system and not the connected community.

4 Likes

We need a feature like that for gamer and gun threads.

2 Likes

t rmnds m f ld sstm sd hr nc pn tm.

8 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if you werenā€™t the only person flagging that discussion. I flagged a similar discussion myself, maybe it was the same one :wink:

But yeah, I find it hard to flag if Iā€™m convinced the asshole on the other side really does believe whatever crazy/misogynistic/sexist/racist/just plain wrong thing (s)heā€™s saying. Iā€™ll flag somebody because they wonā€™t come out and say the horrible thing theyā€™re so smugly hinting at, thatā€™s just makes the comment a troll, but I guess Iā€™m fine with engaging with people I donā€™t always agree with.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever flagged a post unless it was obviously spam (e.g., make $5,000 a month stuffing envelopes!).

Itā€™s the internet. People are going to be offensive. What I can control is to not read the post, not respond, stop following the thread if thatā€™s what it takes. A useful and portable life skillā€¦not that Iā€™m an expert yet, but at least Iā€™m working on it!

Having said that, I know that Iā€™m a Tough Old Broadā„¢ who has lost something precious in becoming so insensitive to maliciousness. So my way is probably not the best for a civilized forum.

Itā€™s really Great Old Broads, and my cousin is a memberā€¦the cousin who once pulled me back up into the whitewater raft one-handed when we were going through rapids and I was being stupid on the gunwale, in her late 60s!

18 Likes

(Is that real? Are they on OKCupid?)

6 Likes

Sheā€™s in her late 80s now, so probably not looking for a young stud (when was the last time someone called you THAT?).

Still a fabulous person. Iā€™m proud to be related to her!

And yes, itā€™s a real group.

7 Likes

First. Time.

And now my derailing is finished.

4 Likes

I for one am fine with this, I know this thread exists because there are people who disagree, thatā€™s fine too, just saying that I accept this compromise.

2 Likes

Certain keywords in the title and over 100 replies is all the warning I need.

8 Likes

Yeah I want to stay away, but then I am also like ā€˜ooooh trainwreckā€™ probably one of the reasons I got regular status.

11 Likes

Mabe we need a ā€œbanana-fy this topicā€ button for each user, so we can just look at it, and not have reply buttons till you turn it off at the top of the thread?

10 Likes

Whereā€™s @awjt when we need him?

7 Likes

7 Likes

Iā€™d have gone with any of Ciceroā€™s tedious self-congratulation around Catiline. :wink:

Would disemvowelling be worth considering instead of deletion?

6 Likes

Hahaha NOPE

True. All the more reason not to ban a regular forever, unless something really extreme happens.

No, it wouldnā€™t. Since the toxic waste would still be there, stinking up the joint.