Recommend Me a Book is a site that will help you find something good to read

Originally published at: Recommend Me a Book is a site that will help you find something good to read | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I have found some wonderful reads through word of mouth (not a website).

And, while we’re here, if you get a chance to read anything by Diane Setterfield, you can’t go far wrong.

Sorry Mark, I know that’s not the point of this topic, but Diane Bloody Setterfield.
Come On.

This is a sort of neat idea, and probably worth spending some time with for its own sake, but the title is false advertising. “Just start reading every book that exists” is the opposite of a recommendation.

What I was hoping for was a thing that can infer what books I’d like based on other books I liked (or my star sign, or anything that works). Which is actually not what amazon does; they just recommend books by the last 3 authors I read. I’ve bought hundreds of Kindle books and not once has it extrapolated a useful suggestion.

For all that we live in fear of Algorithms, they are consistently, bafflingly terrible at their job, no matter how much data you feed them. It’s a real bugbear of mine.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.