Record digger shares a great story about the discovery of a 'Holy Grail' album

I really want to sell off the bulk of my collection since I don’t DJ anymore and if I did I’d prefer a Serrato set-up over hauling 5 crates to every gig (that shit got old even when I was in my 20s.) But first, it’s so daunting a task to do the sheer data entry into ebay, and if you don’t do the grading right they fuck up your seller rating, etc. I could just take it all down to the local shops but I wouldn’t make but pennies on the dollar and I can’t stomach that. The other thing is that I’d want digital files for most of the singles which I already know how to work with for the Serrato, but mostly I’ve only found album rips so no instrumentals and that’s out. that’s like the key to the whole way I mix. So, add tracking down digital replacements and I’m looking at a full-time job for like a year or something :/

2 Likes

I never really thought of looking for records as “digging” but I guess that is what I did here and there. I dunno if people here are more serious about it but generally the records are cleaner even the ones in flea markets.

Yeah all that 100%. I wasn’t a stunt DJ, thats just not a thing in the reggae sound system scene so much so instead of Serato for the last year or so I was DJing I did my sets mostly with an app on my iPad since I was digitizing all my vinyl anyway… For my sound I was hauling I dunno how many kilos of FX and so on anyway so it was just easier on my back.

What I might do is just catalog the stuff slowly and have a shop owning friend of mine sell it off and just split the commission mostly his way.

3 Likes

Okay, this clearly falls under the “wonderful” category…
Actually, you had me at “little, plastic, portable turntable”.
Even better than cat pics from where I sit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.