Reddit user wants to know what X-Men comics to read to "avoid the woke stuff"

Originally published at: Reddit user wants to know what X-Men comics to read to "avoid the woke stuff" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Bizarro world X-Men where Robert Kelly is the hero?

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know what the fuck they’re talking about

13 Likes

He should read All Star Goebels Comix.

17 Likes

Anyone who thinks you can read X-Men and avoid “woke stuff” has no idea what they are about, starting from the very beginning as a thinly veiled reference to the civil rights struggle to their ongoing inclusive storylines. I guess I would suggest moving on to something else entirely. Like NKorea, maybe.

44 Likes

I honestly thought KotakuInAction had been slapped down with the rest of the really nasty stuff a couple of years ago, but apparently not.
I feel dirty having clicked through the link now. You can probably trace a direct line back from the Capitol Insurrection to these shitlords and GamerGate.

15 Likes

Here’s an idea…put the goddam comics down and pick up a book. educate yourself, you stupid ass.

4 Likes

Chrissakes, throw up a content warning about that subreddit, will ya? What a wretched hive of scum and villainy. And not in a good way.

12 Likes

That’s Reddit for ya.

1 Like

I like Captain America but lately he seems Antifa. How far do I have to go back so he isn’t fighting fascists?

60 Likes

Well if they read any X-Men comics ever, and completely failed to miss the not-very-subtle subtext where Mutants are a stand-in for real-world marginalized people, then I don’t think they’re going to have the ability to absorb any information out of an actual book.

29 Likes

I was really hoping it would be a link to either the main comic book sub or even the X-Men sub, where there would be a better chance of the stupidity of the inquiry getting smacked about. Not a 100% likelihood because it’s still Reddit, but better than the cesspool of KIA. You’re right that they’re connected to gamergate and 1/6. It’s one of the breeding grounds.

7 Likes

Yeah, had I known it was KotakuInAction I would have never clicked through to the original thread.

Eww. I was hoping to see the answers make fun of the asker but obviously in that sub people are answering unironically.

6 Likes

Replying unironically, I love how Cap has increasingly become more and more subversive as the political background has skewed more to the right in recent years, and it always saddens me when people misinterpret the character and see him as a representation of US jingoism.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Not to be too offensive, but there’s a lot of really damn good comic books out there that are considerably better than a lot of traditional “Literature”.
I wouldn’t be who I am today if it wasn’t for 2000AD and its various anti-Thatcher/anti-fascist storylines.
Rogue Trooper, Bad Company, The ABC Warriors, Halo Jones, Nemesis the Warlock and the ever-present Judge Dredd among many, many others all introduced me to complex characters and concepts, and had a huge influence on my understanding of morality and ethics.

27 Likes

Or you could skip the comics and just watch the early 2000s movies.

In those movies Mutants are just human beings who were born different in ways that are not necessarily obvious at first but tend to express themselves around the age when children and teens start to experience the onset of puberty. And conservative politicians want to pass legislation preventing those people from having the same civil rights as others, so many of them are forced to live in the closet to avoid being disowned by their genonormative families or beat up by bigoted protesters and whatnot.

mutant

Nope, no thinly veiled allegories there!

29 Likes

Dude the 1950s called, they want their elitist snobbery back.

31 Likes

There isn’t anything wrong with reading comics. They can be just as educational as a book without pictures. The problem isn’t that he’s reading comics, but that he’s a bigoted asshole looking to insulate himself for the uncomfortable truths of the world. Plenty of people who only read books do that as well…

35 Likes

Yes! And with their interplay between two info tracks (images and words) instead of just one, they can be more complex, intricate, profound and artful than the mere written word. Scott McCloud’s book still makes that case well.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102920.Understanding_Comics

20 Likes