Reddit user wants to know what X-Men comics to read to "avoid the woke stuff"

Next they will ask RATM to stop being so “woke”.

18 Likes

I cannot read comics. It’s like some form of dyslexia. But even I know that there are a full range of topics covered in graphic stories, from history to myth-telling, just like text-based books.

8 Likes

“KotakuInAction is the main hub for GamerGate on Reddit” from their page description.

Allan Bloom springs to mind immediately.

4 Likes

Lets just say that dense books of political theory aren’t just a left wing thing. I don’t want to go mentioning any names, in case I summon their followers.

11 Likes

Alright, fair 'nuf.

1 Like

Harold Bloom too.

4 Likes

As someone who has spent some amount of time in higher ed, being well read is really no indication of lack of bigotry… academia, which is really just FULL of people who are the definition of “well read” has all the same problems with bigotry as any where else. Sometimes the most well read academics tend to be the most insufferable and bigoted, in fact.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

12 Likes

Well-read bigots are some of the worst bigots because they’ve already convinced themselves that they know more than most people and are therefore even less likely to accept the possibility they might be wrong.

9 Likes

People who went to graduate school and come out thinking that they are smartest and bestest people did graduate school wrong…

13 Likes

Agreed. (And I went to graduate school.)

7 Likes

Secret grad school handshake!

Best Friends Kids GIF by Hallmark Channel

Don’t peak you non-grad school people!

8 Likes

Maybe we should have a handshake that is better suited for folks with carpal tunnel syndrome.

7 Likes

High Five Season 4 GIF by The Good Place

12 Likes

Iron Man might be what he’s looking for—Tony Stark was always Stan Lee’s token asshole techbro defense contractor hero

The Closing of the American Mind was an early example of every accusation being a confession

5 Likes

My professor invited me to join one of her grad school classes one semester. Does that count?

4 Likes

So…MBAs?

5 Likes

I think this started in the 1980s, the earliest of the “Steve Rogers becomes disillusioned with the authoritarian trend in Reagan’s America” story lines. But I was never a big Marvel reader. My favourite publisher was First Comics, with Grimjack, The Badger, Nexus, and titles like that. I was a big, big fan of the independent comics publishers like First Comics, Kitchen Sink Comics and so on…

1 Like

Ugh, I made the mistake of following that link. The part that really made me go “wtf?” was someone (unironically as far as I can tell) referring to living in ‘the darkest timeline’, because apparently the world has got too left-wing? I mean, in the UK at least, politics are further to the right than they have been since the 1930s, but I suppose that you’re not allowed to call someone the n-word, so yeah, darkest timeline for Conservatives I suppose.

Anyway, as a palate cleanser, here’s something completely different “Steve Rogers - PR Nightmare

Eva learned to dread the approach of elderly senators and statesmen, the way they shook Steve’s hand and leaned into his space to mutter, conspiratorially, “The country’s not like it used to be, is it?” It was like the ticking of a bomb that only Eva could hear.

"You’re right,” said Steve, the third time it happened, “nobody dies of the flu and I can’t get arrested for marrying a black person.”

13 Likes

All books are real books. Hating on comics is at best rude, and hints at a type of ableism against people with reading challenges such as ADHD.

/rant from your friendly neighborhood English teacher and spouse of a librarian

6 Likes