Reddit's Head of Community quits

Instead of being snarky at Reddit for this, why not direct it at the larger Internet in general for encouraging this behavior?

Or is this just Internet NIMBYism (it’s OK in the dark corners, but not on the dark corners of popular pages)?

The headline isn’t, I’ll grant you, but the entire of the ‘above the fold’ is deliberately misleading. “Fourth person leaves reddit in a month” doesn’t get the same page views as “fourth woman leaves reddit in a month”, even though gender is irrelevant. That’s clickbaity, yes.

If all four of those people are women, it’s an important part of the article. If all four of those people were disabled, it’s an important part of the article. If all four of those people were deaf, it’s an important part of the article.

Increasingly so, yes. Aren’t you? The increasing numbers of misleading ledes and store items promoted to the front page as of they were unbiased reviews? Yes, that disappoints me. It’s not cool things anymore…

Why is it automatically important? If they all got pushed for being female, then it’s important. If they left to go set up their own company, how the hell is their gender important?

@jlw - we’ve got one for you.

##Fish rot from the head.
Ancient Proverb

via Glassdoor.

Cons

Working for a dictator
Making sweeping changes without any notice
ZERO job security
Being constantly worried about unforeseen “random” lay offs.
Management
There is a lot of politics

Management is opaque & secretive. They will suddenly change directions every so often. Also, they are fond of stealthy layoffs. One day, your teammate will just disappear with little to no explanation and your project in limbo. Instability appears to be because of squabbles within upper management.

Upper management ideas could change and when they do it comes very quick and sudden. As a result it’s not uncommon to find out that your team mate just got let go from the company. Even though, reddit is 10 years old company it lacks clear picture of future plans.

In b4 “when did Boing Boing stop being about wonderfu”

Damn.

Don’t worry, you still got your mojo (just don’t type with your other hand)

maybe there’s a core issue maybe there isn’t. Do we raise questions about why men leave? When several men leave in quick succession is it evidence of misandry? The different reasons for leaving show that the core issues may not be about gender but about other issues within reddit. Or maybe it’s just change.

I think (but don’t know) the reason for concern is tied to recent transparency reports that show the percentage of women in tech roles declining.

And in an industry that generally likes to cast itself as a meritocracy, the positioning of these two stories may be evidence of a dark truth us techies don’t want to talk about.

ahhh but we don’t know that she’s left the tech industry, just that she’s left reddit.

Perfectly cogent point. And not all data that looks like evidence turns out to be evidence. But we are getting into occams razor territory here.

This was re: “subsidizing white supremacist subreddits on principle” – the difference is that internet at large isn’t literally doing that: it isn’t providing the hosting, the software, the tools, and ready access to an established and integrated social network of other communities free of charge.

Another way of putting it: I’m OK with Stormfront having a right to operate servers and am OK with ISPs, a public utility, being mandated to allow access to them over the web. But I don’t think Reddit gets to publish white supremacists by choice on its own website and claim that its subsidizing of them is a similar thing.

It’s not. The Reddit Situation is more likely just infighting over the short term goal of unrestricted growth vs. its long-term credibility to advertisers, and the various ideological mutterings trotted out to justify each position.

In the meantime, every dollar an advertiser gives to Reddit goes, in part, to the operating costs of Coontown.

(Indeed, with the supernaturally clueless proposed new rules, Coontown gets to be ad-free.)

When there are so few women there in the first place its notable and newsworthy when four leave at once.

I don’t understand your argument that its not…

If four African Americans or four LGBTQ persons left one after the other we’d also ask the same question.

Is that it has to do with X, where a great many other people feel (or guess) that…

is notable. Isn’t that (one of) the purpose(s) of forums such as BB?

Isn’t that what I said?

Do you get cash every time you write an incorrect headline about a much more popular site?

But it is relevant, even if you disagree with the narrative.