Redheads of color

So many listicles on crayola crayons. So many white balance issues.

1 Like

It was false advertising. Tasted nothing like flesh.

9 Likes

Peach wasn’t any better either!

6 Likes

I think it was in Steve Jackson Game’s Munchkin (a RPG-tropes comedy affair) that brown hair gave the characters special powers of nondescriptness, or some such, because it was the boring default color.

I always though this concept had an unintentionally funny layer of blind Eurocentrism. Of course, the actual most common hair color in this planet is black; at least in the majority of people of native Asian, African or American descent.

When I went from Brazil to Germany on a design scholarship one of the many little things that surprised me was the wholly new concept of blonde people who painted their hair black. I grew up used to black-haired haired people wanting to be blonde, never the other way around.

I guess it’s related somehow to the notion of lighter skin color being a status symbol in many cultures (related to not having to labor in the sun?) while having a tan seems desirable in others (in which not being winter-pale means affording travel or artificial sunning, I imagine). Flaunting whatever most people don’t have makes one feel special, I suppose.

“Flesh” is a friggin’ weird name for a crayon, isn’t it? At least call it “normal people skin tone (all others are less desirable)” if your thing is pure racism. This is racist and nearing silence of the lambs territory. Shouldn’t it be a lighter Caucasian brown anyway for racist purposes?

I forgot my point. If any.

2 Likes

“Flesh” is also an exceedingly creepy word as well. If someone uses the word “flesh” more than once in a conversation it’d be a good idea to stay out of arms reach. They might just want to skin you.

It’s one of those creepy words. “Flesh”, “■■■■■”, “urticaria”

5 Likes

Actually…hold on here. So redheads have no soul, and people of color, as we know, have all the soul. So where does that put these people?

Crayola no longer calls it “flesh” for this reason. I thought I remembered them being called that when I was a kid but Google tells me they changed it in 1962 which was a good decade before I was born.

1 Like

Redheads have soul(s). They just aren’t born with them. Redheads of color are simply more capable of consuming soles through wit and charm.

I remember flesh colored crayons for some reason, but I think they were actually called peach when I was of crayon using age (born in 95.) On thinking about it, maybe parents/grandparents referred to it as flesh?

Came for a Tim Minchin reference. Disappointed that I had to do it myself.

5 Likes

I can’t believe I didn’t think of that!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.