Crayola makes crayons in 24 new skin tones

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/23/crayola-makes-crayons-in-24-ne.html

12 Likes

I like my coffee Wazroth-colored.

4 Likes

Seriously, this is great. Now when I am asked my “race” on some official form, I can put down “light medium almond” instead of “other”.

31 Likes

That’s a win for everyone. It represents a business philosophy that should be internalised by companies whenever possible.

21 Likes

Now that children have the tools they need I expect much more realistic drawings from them.

33 Likes

This is great. Now hopefully the colors in the box are randomly laid out, and not top-to-bottom or left-to-right with white first. A nitpick, I know, but it does still imply the other colors are lesser or secondary if sorted the way that chart in the post is. This is probably concern-trolling, but I’m not trying to be. I just have too much free time on my hands right now.

13 Likes

That’s all well and good for drawing people.

But my objection is that they took the old ‘flesh’ color and called it ‘peach’. As if we are supposed to draw Glohavens, Red Globes, Early Elbertas, and Harkens all with the same crayon. They changed the name in 1962, isn’t 58 years of stonefruit oppression enough?

8 Likes

It is. Though I would like to see an additional color for me - they could call it ghostyface.

16 Likes

Agreed. To make my wife’s complexion I think you’d need to mix very light rose with white, maybe 50/50. She is always the whitest person at the beach (only rarely is she beaten out by an infant.)

8 Likes

Whut? How will the little tykes draw the POTUS?

I’m torn between it being Outrageous Orange, Atomic Tangerine and Neon Carrot.

15 Likes

Well - though I have a face like the map of Ireland- I’m not just white. OTOH - three of my uncles had albinism.

7 Likes

Maybe Pumpkin Head?

8 Likes

My mother used to say, “Get outside, you look like a bag of milk”. Unfortunately I don’t see translucent “bag of milk” colour listed …

12 Likes

Were you in Canada?

11 Likes

RACE?: “human
SKIN COLOUR?: “Pantone 727-C
. . . .

SYSTEM ERROR: Your form has been rejected. This system only accepts Crayola skin tones as valid responses. Please enter a valid Crayola tone and re-submit.

16 Likes
2 Likes

Review:
Could not use with official MAGA coloring books. No colors for many of the people or the president.

5/5 stars. Would definitely buy again.

7 Likes

12 Likes

Looking at the image of the box, it looks like they are random in the box, but organized by tone on the sides. I take you point, but it is also nice to be able to put the chart next to your skin and see which is closest.

I’d love to see it sold it as “Colors of America” in the US, “Colors of Germany” in Germany, etc.

4 Likes

In the days when I used cream in my coffee (and traveled by air), a flight attendant asked me how much I wanted. I replied, “Look at me.” She got it just right! :laughing:

16 Likes