I think the people who name paint colors have just given up this year

Originally published at: I think the people who name paint colors have just given up this year | Boing Boing

11 Likes

That’s your first mistake right there

18 Likes

Chartreuse.

13 Likes

Gesundheit!

29 Likes

mauve along, nothing to see here

23 Likes

Ochre. An ugly name, and a drab color.

6 Likes

Puce. Nobody knows what it is.

the color of dried blood, associated with flea bites

12 Likes

Umber.

(Bland brown-grey.)

10 Likes

Bone

2 Likes

You need Ken Nordine instead of Home Depot

7 Likes

my favorite liquor. My best friends call it cough syrup. I can’t entirely disagree. Highly recommend a dash of it in hot chocolate!

15 Likes

Everyone enjoys actual color names – ultramarine, cœrulean, phthalo blue – but I think the OP was talking about the names paint companies make up, like “Elephant’s Gaze” or “Brunch Wind” or “Touch of Brimley”.

23 Likes

Disappointingly unspecific. Not even a Pantone code.
I worked as a printer for a while and still have nightmares about Pantone 123.

15 Likes

Taupe.

3 Likes

Back in my uni days, a friend went through a series of boyfriends who came out to her, then broke up with her to find a boyfriend. She supported them coming out, but found it frustrating that she kept losing boyfriends. “That’s it!” she announced one day “I’m going to start screening potential boyfriends with this: I’ll point to my shoes and say ‘would these look better in taupe?’ The correct answer is ‘What’s a taupe?’ If they know it’s a colour, and have an opinion about it, we’re going to make fine friends but that’s all.”

24 Likes

…for a more desaturated age.

27 Likes

Green Chartreuse is my favourite tipple too! …not sure I’d put it in hot chocolate, but hell, it’s a good thing we’re not all mad the one way.

5 Likes

This may seem tangential, but I’ve just been reading to my wife a book called “Saffy’s Angel” by Hilary McKay. We were helpless with laughter. I mention this because Saffy is short for Saffron, who has cousins (adopted siblings) called Caddy (Cadmium [yellow]), Indigo, and (Permanent) Rose. In the first chapter, the health visitor asks “Why is this child covered in Yellow Ochre?” to which Caddy replies “She wanted the Chinese White.” I think Chinese White contains lead, so that’s perfectly reasonable… Anyway. I commend this book, and its sequels, to you.

6 Likes

A French-speaking mole, since no-one was asking.

10 Likes

Cannot recommend realgar or orpiment. 2/10.

6 Likes