I think the people who name paint colors have just given up this year

note to self: “Chinese white! = China white.

5 Likes

We don’t even look at names just the color chips.

When we were kids in the 70s my grandma didn’t have a lot of money, every few years she would have us kids paint the garage. It was old and if you didn’t use Mr. Haney’s pore key it would suck up the paint.

She went down to the corner mom and pop hardware store and bought whatever leftover paint they had, color didn’t matter. We dumped it all in bucket, mixed it up and painted the garage.

When we built our house I knew a fiberglass guy and asked him to gell coat our front door (indestructible finish). He asked what color, I said white.

He said what color white and showed me about a dozen whites. I let him pick.

Too many choices in color.

5 Likes

I’m guessing that’s the color of diabeetus.

8 Likes

Or oatmeal.

3 Likes

“Flesh” color

6 Likes

Octarine

10 Likes
4 Likes

2 Likes

*to the tune of Beastie Boys Sure Shot*

1 Like
2 Likes

Olive drab. It’s right in the name.

3 Likes

Or cinnabar. “I’ve told you vermilion times, don’t touch that!”

12 Likes

My favorite color names are “red” in Hungarian, which can be piros or vörös (remember that s is sh, so, PEEroshe). The truth of the matter is that there is a short list of vörös objects: blood, red wine, and the red on flags (and the like, e.g. the red star of the Communist Party). All other red things are piros. But as usual with such things Hungarians don’t know this. If you ask them what’s the difference they’ll say that vörös is a darker red, a richer red. Then you show them progressively darker and richer red objects not from the list and they will squirm and say nah that’s still piros but not know why.

14 Likes

Give it a shot if you’re feeling it sometime. It’s great in hot chocolate, agreed.

And if that’s too bold, add a dash to a little homemade whipped cream instead. Delish

1 Like

Vomit color name irl: Anime

What vomit color actually looks like in anime:

3 Likes

If your vomit is a shade of neon green, you really may want to see a doctor, STAT.

9 Likes

8 Likes

I don’t see the point in making specific paint colors. I guess it is a marketing ploy so you can say your walls are painted in a cool color. Wait, do they have a Fett green??

3 Likes

A few years ago, the Pantone color of the year was IBM blue. except IBM blue is already trademarked to IBM, so it was just the same color but with some different name. I’m assuming Pantone still managed to make money from it nonetheless.

4 Likes

Interesting articles about the perception of color in different cultures.

https://www.outofframe.mit.edu/allposts/are-blue-and-green-different

8 Likes