Rediscover 10 classic movies to spark your love for black & white films

Let us not forget the great Haskell Wexler.

:blush:

3 Likes

A buddy of mine is looking at possibly buying his camera. Would love to see in person the camera that shot Matewan (not B/W, but still beautiful).

3 Likes

Waited years for it to come out in bluray. Gorgeous!

3 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

Right?! The Criterion disc is magnificent. I actually got to chat one-on-one with John Sayles once, and when I asked him β€œwhen are we getting Matewan?” he described all the trials of securing the rights to his own film for a proper release. One of the reasons he was actually in town on that occasion was to speak to lawyers about it. So glad he was finally successful! (Oh, and super-nice guy.)

6 Likes

His films are so neglected. I hope I live long enough to watch restored, br versions of Limbo; Lonestar: and The Secret of Roan Inish.

3 Likes

My buy list is growing.

2 Likes

Black and white film tended to have better sensitivity, and better dynamic range than equivalent color film stock. Maybe directors could afford to be more experimental about their lighting designs.

I hate how black and white is treated as a poor second cousin to color cinematography. The colorizations that are the rage take a black and white image, remove the sharp detail that is characteristic of a well photographed monochrome image, and attempt to add barely half of the color detauil that is characteristic of a color image.

Rule of thumb-- if a black and white tweed jacket looks like a soupy grayish mass, you probably should look for a better digitization.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of good films on here, but the favourite of mine that I’m missing is Modern Times - I’d rate it as narrowly my favourite Chaplin film. Just so many classic comedy moments, mixed in with a message and a heart.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.