Reggae is now on UNESCO's list of protected cultural heritage

2 Likes

so is olfactory…

ds9-sisko-eyeroll|nullxnull

2 Likes

Probably because of the variance in melodic/rhythm structure between the two

Two I can think of in this particular case are Lee Scratch Perry burning down the Black Ark (his recording studio) and the fact that master tapes often got blanked and re-used to save on studio costs. Some late 60s through 70s reggae exists only if an original vinyl pressing happens to be found in some warehouse or estate sale.

2 Likes

Groovy.

2 Likes

No:
f8d3cbc6

Yes:

WTF is wrong with people?:

2 Likes

Hm. That reminds me of the BBC wiping all the tapes of the first two doctor whos, so now much of their run is just gone… I think it’s probably hard to remember (or unimaginable for people who’ve only grown up in the digital world) that the physical medium could get destroy, wiped, or lost… Also, kids today…

So what happened with the Black Ark? How did it burn down?

1 Like

We have received a number of complaints from Hartlepool United supporters about the Bob Marley fancy dress theme planned by a group of the club’s fans for their fixture against Carlisle United at Brunton Park on Saturday 2 May. The main concerns raised have been over the potential of fans deciding to ‘black up’.

“We have subsequently followed up on the complaints by contacting both Hartlepool United and Carlisle United on the matter. We clearly outlined that ‘blacking up’ has historically been a way of acting out racist stereotypes, and while the theme planned by fans may be well intended and chosen as part of an annual fancy dress tradition, such behaviour, if it occurs, is likely to cause offence.

“We have provided guidance to both clubs on the matter, and advised Carlisle United of our own stance that if any fans do choose to ‘black up’ they should be refused entry to their stadium. We have also contacted The Football Association, the Football League, and the United Kingdom Football Policing Unit to inform them of the complaints we have received from Hartlepool United supporters.

“If we do receive complaints informing us that supporters have ‘blacked up’ at the fixture between Carlisle United and Hartlepool United, or that any incidents or disturbances of a discriminatory nature have occurred, we will follow our usual procedures by making The Football Association and the Football League aware for them to investigate.”

2 Likes

Funny thing about that which I didnt mention earlier. Same as tapes got re-used, so does/did hard disk space. We are going to find out in years to come that lots of digital studio master recordings are just gone because the original producer needed the disk space.

Or that the HDD got corrupted over time. Or the CDR backup (or digital tape) backup is no longer readable.

Etc.

Before you ask, yes, this has happened to me with my own work and work that I’ve done for others.

He burned it down himself in 1979

As with all things Scratch, the reasons stated have multiple versions. Scratch has told the story different ways over the years as have people who were around at the time.

I’ve got a few good books on this slice of JA history, but I’d have to dig em out of storage and forget the titles right now…

That’s entirely true, but it’s also true digital storage space keeps cheaper by the second. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, of course, just that there are more options for storage.

Ha! That’s kind of awesome.

If you happen to remember the cites, send them along, but don’t go out of your way. I can ask the prof who has been doing lots of Jamaican cultural history lately. I’m sure he knows a good book or two on the topic.

2 Likes

Scratch is more than a bit awesome himself. Unlike many of his generation he is not only not dead but at 82 is still making music, touring and performing.

2 Likes

Yep. The world isn’t entirely a shitty place when you got people like him still out there making music and bringing joy to the world.

3 Likes

Suffering Psyche!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.