Reimagining US banknotes as modern, plastic, QR-code-verified, PGP-protected collectibles

The $2 should have someone queer on it.

3 Likes

This is, of course, NOT a custom for American notes, or coins, though it would be sensible.

I think everyone knew the night of the election that a Donald Trump presidency would do very little progressive elements of governance.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I thought the phrase was about a $3 bill?

I think it started out as two dollar, but then they actually made some, and the saying changed to 3, but I could be wrong.

They have been making them in one for or another since 1862… but maybe. There was like a 10 year lull, though.

PGP seems like a really poor choice for this use. It was designed to encrypt large messages that might not be entirely safe to encrypt using Public Key crypto alone. This adds complexity that isn’t needed for data verification. There are other cryptographic tools like signed HMAC that should be more suitable to this task.

The main things missing here that’s common on modern plastic bills (looks closely in my wallet) are transparent holographic inclusions … these make practical xeroxing of money useless.

They look great but still keep with the dingy-green theme of the current american money

3 Likes

You know they’re counterfeit when you can’t feel Lincoln’s mole poking out.

Wait, are you making an argument for or against allowing advertising on currency? If no one looks at it or is affected by it, then there’s no value to the advertising.

It’s a creative idea, but also destructive. Please, no.

4 Likes

What’s the point of cryptographically signing the note? If you are going to produce copies of a bill you would just copy the hash as well, right?

1 Like

How is it destructive? Is this little different than putting Mickey Mouse on postage stamps to boost sales?

Oh my god I so wish that was the $20 bill!

1 Like

Well, if you look at the back of the “current” $2 bill, there’s a pretty big group of dudes… I have a feeling at least one of those guys was probably not 100% hetero.

This is The United States of America you are talking about here… selling out is a national pastime.

3 Likes

This sounds like the sort of idea that the US is much more likely to pursue, rather than something actually useful.

These notes are nightmares for visually impaired people. As well as not having different sizes, there’s too much visual noise to distinguish the value from the admittedly-pretty backgrounds.

The new UK notes have different sizes and colours for different values, print the value in dark text against plain white and incorporate bumps (like the Australian notes) for people who are entirely blind. £5 is bumpless, £10 has two sets of bumps and the £20 will have three.

Having said that - they are much nicer than the existing Dollar notes which are nearly as ugly and shabby as some notes I’ve had for Ugandan and Kenyan shillings.

1 Like

They have been like that since the end of the Second world War.

1 Like

It’s advertising. On currency. First, it strongly implies the US government endorses the advertised company, and second, forced advertising on something people have to use in their daily lives is an abuse.

Think of this: why are Google, Facebook, and Twitter all free? Because the companies make money off of the advertising they sell that is exposed to their users. If that attention is valuable, it has a cost to the user. Whether it’s just a distraction or whether it influences them to spend their money in a way that is not in their best interest, it’s a cost to the user. Cost is harm, therefore, advertisements on currency are destructive.

Stamps that have an “advertisement” on them, like Mickey Mouse (arguably historic/cultural), have to be selected by the user. You don’t just get them when you pay for any old stamp to send a letter. You hav eot ask for them.

1 Like