Reimagining US banknotes as modern, plastic, QR-code-verified, PGP-protected collectibles

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/30/pgp-qr-codes.html

6 Likes

Very, very nice… and, unfortunately, too speculative now given electronic-payment culture/economy. Still, I’d like to have a hold on one of these for close examination!

2 Likes

As long as “In God We Trust” isn’t on the note. I’m all for it.

13 Likes

Of course it would be quite different if the current leadership had any say in the design, which would likely include homages to the Confederacy and Ronald Reagan.

5 Likes

And a 1 Billion dollar bill, with Trump on it.

5 Likes

This is a real possibility.

4 Likes

Currency design in the US, at least since 1930 or so, also was slow to change a bit by design. Rapidly changing currency designs evoked instability in the minds of many people, especially overseas, immediately after the depression.

They actually waited almost 10 years to redesign the $100 bill after discovering North Korean and Iranian supernotes made using Stasi engraved plates and intaglio presses.

3 Likes

This design is missing one very critical feature: The ability to discern a bill’s value by touch alone.

Say you’re blind. How can you tell a $1 from a $20?

To be clear, I’m all for this design concept, but as it stands it’s incomplete to meet the needs of a modern currency should be.

5 Likes

Orange of course.

2 Likes

Seems like with using plastic, wouldn’t be too hard to have some Braille dots on it somewhere.

2 Likes

Assuming they used a raised ink, the same way they tell the difference now - by touch.

Also - in design school I hand an awesome idea that I still think we should do: Sell advertising spots on $1 bills. Make money, making money! Have a business card sized spot for people to buy ad spots, and it will be printed at the treasury. AND it would also probably create a large collectors niche. Creating a secondary market.

Legal tender should not be linked to a specific product. Imagine the glee of making Pepsi adverts of kids buying Pepsi using their Coca Cola dollars.

2 Likes

And still no Harriet Tubman 20, dammit.

10 Likes

This is precisely what Canada has done.

2 Likes

Still American dollars, just maybe with a Pepsi logo. Coke doesn’t like it, they can buy more ad dollars. The front would have more traditional imagery. The back is framed in more traditional imagery. It would only apply to the $1 bill.

Make money making money.

1 Like

I think you’re also underestimating the psychological impact of having legal tender marked with a specific brand. It’s a really, really bad idea and you should be ashamed of yourself. I mean, really, it’s the worst sort of selling out that I can think of.

4 Likes

Trump’s destiny: (and the sooner the better)

1 Like

Beautiful concept.
Minor details: Jackson is gone from the $20, replaced by Kennedy, (and that’s Jefferson instead of Hamilton on the $10) but what about the good ole’ $2 bill? image

What psychological impact are you concerned about?

Hell 1) Most people don’t even use cash any more and 2) no one is looking at their money unless they are trying to complete their 50 state quarter set.

1 Like

As long as those plastic bills are sharp enough to play vinyl records, I would totally support this.