Remembering the Awhatukee House of the Future, a "shining home of dreams" that became a $3 tourist trap

I’ve lived in the PHX area since '79 and have driven past this place many times. Never dropped the $3 though, probably should have. Very impressive. Though unrelated, check out Arcosanti, about and hour drive north.

this is the content i come to the boards for :100:

1 Like

Perhaps you prefer Corbusier.

The fundamental “module” of the Modulor is a six-foot man, allegedly based on the usual height of the detectives in the English crime novels Corbusier enjoyed.

https://www.iconeye.com/opinion/icon-of-the-month/item/3815-modulor-man-by-le-corbusier

It should be noted that Le Corbusier was shorter than 1.83 m, as are the vast majority of women.

I just read this a few weeks ago, or I would never have had the context for this exchange on early processors, hehe…

Corbusier - no. His Ville Radieuse was fine for the south of France, but his ideas didn’t travel well. I’m a failed architecture student, and that was a looong time ago. I can’t even remember the name of my favourite modern architect. I do remember that he gave us a lecture in Edinburgh once, and we had put soluble antacid tablets in his water carafe which he seemed to appreciate. My wife professes to admire architecture (much more than I do) but her delight is mainly in decoration, so I can breathe more easily. P.S. It was James Stirling.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.