Report: Justice Department will clear Ferguson police officer who shot Mike Brown

New poster = outsider = not worth hearing, in many cases.

I won’t even side with @teapot on this topic, regarding Darren Wilson’s disposition. Rather than say Darrin Wilson deserves death, I say that Mike Brown does not deserve to be dead.

7 Likes

We shall have to agree to disagree. I think the perspective revealed by Twilight and Thot in their replies helps me know where they are coming from.

1 Like

I think that regardless of specifics, Wilson genuinely feared for his life. According to the law, that means he had legal justification for the shooting.

That said, somebody that afraid of an unarmed teenager should not have been entrusted with a badge and gun in the first place. The systemic problems run deeper than basic cause=>effect, and I see the shooting as more akin to criminal negligence than manslaughter.

Not that it makes any difference to the family. Dead is dead however it happens, but sometimes It’s easier to cope with a solid cause to blame.

1 Like

So, the more fearful I am, the more justified I am in taking another persons life?
I think the law is in error here. Fear should not be justification for taking another life. That would make neurotics the most dangerous people on earth.

No, genuine fear doesn’t mean he was justified. If a racist old lady is genuinely fearful of every black male who asks her a question in the street, she doesn’t have legal justification for shooting them. Not only must the person have genuine subjective fear, but that fear must be objectively reasonable.

2 Likes

I’m not saying it’s right- Just that it’s what the law establishes as justification. I’d also prefer a more objective standard.

And herein lies the issue -“To bring federal civil rights charges, the Justice Department would have needed to prove that Officer Wilson had intended to violate Mr. Brown’s rights when he had opened fire and that he had done so willfully — meaning he knew that it was wrong to fire, but did so anyway.” Does anyone really believe that Darren Wilson did not believe that Michael Brown did not have ‘civil’ rights, just like any other white guy? And of course, in the minds of far too many citizens and law enforcement personnel, all young black and brown men deserve to be exterminated, unlike young white males, because killing an unarmed young white males would be wrong. There is a sleight of hand, non-mystery in the foregoing quote, and as such is invalid!

Please don’t: policemen could shoot us without repercussions.

My point is that the law does apply an “objectively reasonable fear” standard.

The question is essentially whether Wilson intended to violate Brown’s rights because he was black. Which is not to say that he didn’t think Brown didn’t have rights, but that he intended to selectively deprive him of his rights because he was black.

So you are advocating judging an individual officer, Darren Wilson, on the basis of some statistical or visceral impressions about police? If you can judge an an individual officer that way, can the police judge individual black youth that way?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.