Republicans against evolution

I know Republicans (or maybe Libertarians) who love to stir up shit and will do it just to piss off Liberals. I think this is a growing trend and may account for some of these numbers.

1 Like

o_0 A crank? Which concept is so way out there? That there are some people who view evolution as an idea perpetuated by godless liberals to attack the concept of a divine creator? Because there are absolutely people out there who think that.

I never laid claim that the scientists have politicized the idea. But much like climate change or GMO, belief and acceptance runs down political lines and ones party affiliation and the values and beliefs that go with that absolutely has an effect on ones perception and understanding.[quote=ā€œElusis, post:31, topic:18050ā€]
This is that ā€œreligious people are the REAL victimsā€ argument, right?
[/quote]

0_o I never said anyone was a victim or not. Both sides have used the topic to attack the other.

o_0 Yeah - I think that was my point. It cuts both ways. There are those who gravitate to evolution simply as it opposes people they normally disagree with (with little to no real understanding of it, they just accept it as truth) - just as there people who reject evolution because it is supported by people who they usually disagree with (with little to no understanding of it, they just accept it as false).[quote=ā€œGlitch, post:33, topic:18050ā€]
At least it makes more sense toā€¦
[/quote]

0_o since when have humans had to make sense to hold opinions? Everyone holds some belief that is based off of emotion and bias rather than reasoning.

o_0 0_o o_0 - oh crap, mom was right, my face stuck this way.

2 Likes

Totally agree; unfortunately for the human race, the gene-pool has been polluted beyond repair. The time-line of our species grows shorter by the dayā€¦

Except for the catholic church right?

Iā€™ve always subscribed to the idea of looking to science for the how, and religion for the why.

1 Like

Why did this article have to be about partisanship? At this point anyone whoā€™s been awake these past 40 odd years should be aware that both parties are nothing more than differing management styles for the same agenda.

The poll showed 43 percent of Republicans and 67 percent of Democrats say humans have evolved over time, compared with 54 percent and 64 percent respectively four years ago.

Interesting to me how both parties increased in the number of evolution deniers.

Again, why is this framed as a Republican thing? 33% of democrats donā€™t believe in evolution. How about we discuss this in a non-political non-partisan manner and realize the problem is not which party you belong to, itā€™s that our education system has failed a large portion of the population.

Instead of circle jerk partisan sniping, we need to focus on the actual problem and leave the politics to the oligarchical ruling class who are the only people benefiting from our ā€˜democraticā€™ system today.

edit for additional thoughts
I think the most accurate conclusion we can draw from the data presented is that if you self identify with one of the major parties, you have a greater than normal chance of being an evolution denier.

1 Like

Well that no harder to wrap your mind around than the trinity and consubstantiality. Or, for that matter no harder to wrap your mind around than quantum mechanicsā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™re right those with less education tend to become Republican. Itā€™s certainly an issue that needs to be resolved in order for us to move forward

It has nothing to do with a political party. Over a third of Dems are evolution deniers and that number has been growing.
To me, the sad part is how democrats tend to think of themselves as the intellectual partyā€¦ So intellectual it has to turn a blind eye to the growing number of Democrats who are evolution deniers.
Since you seem to be a partisan on the Dem side, how about you and your party get together to educate the 33% of your membership who think ā€œthe magic man in the sky did itā€ is a good argument? Or, is it more important to trash the other party than it is to do something positive?

Cite?

How many of the ā€œgrowingā€ are folks who have simply found they can no longer tolerate associating themselves with Republicans?

Frankly, if someoneā€™s willing to work with me on practical social issues ā€“ including improving public education, which is where this particular issue MUST be addressed ā€“ Iā€™m willing to tolerate a few weird beliefs. Gods know the Democrats already get the lionā€™s share of the new-agersā€¦

1 Like

I think it does have to do with political party. Youā€™re right, over a third of democrats deny evolution, but nearly twice that number of republicans are also deniers. If political affiliation had nothing to do with it, there wouldnā€™t be nearly as large a disparity.

I think the democratic evolution deniers are borne from the fact that they live in a overly religious country where atheists and scientists are harassed accused of blasphemy.

Either way, my point of education=political affiliation is based off many graphs and maps comparing the election results to the education levels of the area the votes came from. Interestingly religious zealotry also seems to correlate strongly with those maps

Iā€™ll cite the article that this discussion is about. Did you read it?

The poll showed 43 percent of Republicans and 67 percent of Democrats say humans have evolved over time, compared with 54 percent and 64 percent respectively four years ago.

which was based on data from Publicā€™s Views on Human Evolution | Pew Research Center

The original pew source breaks things down in ways other than partisanship.

2 Likes

Jack Chickā€™s diatribes against the Catholic Church did not come out of nowhere.

1 Like

Except that, while the economic and political agendas are in most respects very similar, only one of the parties has this virulent hatred of science, which I would say is a significant difference.

1 Like

Soā€¦ you are being serious? Is my troll detector on the fritz?

ETA - many main stream protestant regions accept or at least do not condemn evolution.

I donā€™t think either party has a virulent hatred of science. There are just scientific issues where the science is ignored based on political reasons. So while some Republicans might see evolution as an attack on religion, and climate change a conspiracy of gov. agencies and ā€œgreenā€ companies looking to make a buck, many Democrats view GMO as poison fed to us from evil corporations and vaccines as unnecessary, dangerous cash cows of big pharma.

Apologies. Distracted by other things, lost context.

Iā€™ll stick with the rest of my statement, though. If I can work together with people on things, and theyā€™re willing to accept that reasonable people can disagree on the others, Iā€™m willing to accept them as incurable and work on the next generation.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an erroneous conclusion. It could just as easily be due to the fact that most people tie their religion up to their politics since seems like protestants and catholics are both big deniers.

You are seeing causation where there is only correlation. Itā€™s also just as possible that your republican base and your denier base are both located in rural under served areas where education isnā€™t as important as being able to play football. Perhaps the problem is football? Perhaps what you are seeing are areas where educational funds for the children are being squandered on sports. It could be increased head trauma leads to a lower I.Q. Maybe, but the point is that neither of us know. We could try to fix it, which is hard, or we can go on attacking the ā€˜otherā€™ which feels good.

[quote=ā€œanon62122146, post:55, topic:18050ā€]
only one of the parties has this virulent hatred of science, which I would say is a significant difference.[/quote]
Democrats are twice as likely to believe in ghosts, crystal healing, and other anti science nonsense. And their leaders are just as kooky in their beliefs which are actually hurting people in real ways.

You canā€™t call one party ā€˜anti scienceā€™ while ignoring your own parties ā€˜anti scienceā€™ rhetoric.

Viewing the world through political glasses isnā€™t a good idea. Itā€™s very distorted and only allows a narrow field of focus.

Personally?
ā€œevolutionā€ is more useful to me as an explanatory concept than faith in any god.

But, the fundamentalist churches are not churches that keep to the old ways. Theyā€™re explicitly anti-modernist, founded largely to return to ideals that never really existed. And a lot of them were or are anti-Catholic. Iā€™m not talking about ā€œthe church has betrayed its children.ā€ Iā€™m taking about ā€œthe pope is the antichristā€.

I really donā€™t know how deeply that retrograde nonsense is buried in the American psyche because Iā€™ve never been a member of a non-liberal christian denomination.

1 Like

Ah - while for sure there are people with those extreme views, itā€™s a little disingenuous to repeatedly parrot these views in a mocking, straw man way.

1 Like