Yikes - 4 out of 10 Republicans favor political violence to achieve their aims

Originally published at: Yikes – 4 out of 10 Republicans favor political violence to achieve their aims | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“Yikes - 4 out of 10 Republicans support terrorism”. There, fixed the title for you!

55 Likes

The country just elected yet ANOTHER old straight white Christian male and they’re still convinced they’re the ones at a political disadvantage.

51 Likes

I mean, America was founded in a war that killed thousands, fought for reasons like hating taxes and being worried about getting to take over Native land and keep slaves. And the people responsible are often presented as brilliant demi-gods, with quotes like “the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants” circulated as as examples of their great wisdom.

Not that this isn’t concerning, quite the opposite. I just think it is worth remembering it has really deep roots here.

29 Likes

It ties in with their religious ethos. Despite the fact that Christianity has dominated the world for most of the last thousand plus years, they STILL teach about how persecuted Christians are. It’s not a huge mental leap for them to shift the cult of persecution to their pet political views, which are wrapped up in their religion in any case (but never so tightly they can’t easily overlook another person’s religious flaws as long as they tow the conservative line).

22 Likes

These two graphs from a recent poll by CBS sums up the point.

Source: Majority favor conviction as Trump impeachment trial begins — CBS News poll - CBS News

23 Likes

So… two religions, then?

10 Likes

The traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it.

I thought democracy was the traditional American way of life.

18 Likes

“A majority (55 percent) of Republicans support the use of force as a way to arrest the decline of the traditional American way of life.” From the original article.

You can say the word. 55% of Republicans are fascist. They are fascists.

26 Likes

Yeah, this is nothing new. I grew up with these idolizers of violence and oppression. What’s worse is that they believe that their actions on earth will be rewarded with eternity. Really makes an appeal to empathy and fraternity impossible.

8 Likes

55% will admit to a pollster that they’re fascists. The rest are just embarrassed to admit it in public.

19 Likes

:thinking:

9 Likes

This is why anti trumpers should concentrate on the fifth of January rather than the sixth. To many trumpers, encouraging violence is a good thing. But being a loser, on the other hand…

2 Likes

The cries of a dying political party.

If we can’t win with our ideas and convincing people to vote for them, we’ll win by force.

7 Likes

All you have to do is look at Senate Republicans to see what the party leadership is doing to discourage such people (spoiler: nothing).

17 Likes

Yup. Persecution envy is ugly.

I mean, there are places where Christianity is legitimately persecuted, but United States does not belong on that list.

13 Likes

And of course the way of life in the 1950’s has been true since the American Revolution. Families have always lived in the suburbs, dad commuted by car to the city for his job, mom stayed home to use the vacuum cleaner and the washer and dryer, and the kids went to school by bus. Every night they sat home and watched “I Love Lucy” on their new television set.

Right.

18 Likes

The problem is that they equate persecution with not getting their way in whatever they decide to do and/or impose on other people. This is what enrages people who’ve actually experienced persecution.

18 Likes

Funny. For the last 4ish years (and even now) all I’ve seen is Dems/liberals calling Reps/conservatives, the enemy. I call bullshit on that poll.

“The traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it.”

“The traditional American way of life” being code for racism, sexism and homophobia as the norm.

21 Likes