Residents of Silicon Valley homeless camp clear 48,000 Lbs of garbage from creek, ask for housing

I ask people, and I consider what they say. I can think deeply, but I can’t get more input from others about their lives without being (more?) obnoxious.

I am truly baffled by whatever you might be getting at here. All talk is “abstract”, the practice is by negotiating these things with people in daily life. By - again - asking them. How should we represent wealth? What kind of architecture should we use? What kind of work needs doing in our society? I take pains to not presume people’s answers to such questions.

So, for your system as it is now, how would you describe its “guts”? What sort of methods do you employ today to create a functioning society with those around you?

I’m not taking a side in this argument about who is saying what. But I live in Austin. In the decade I’ve been here, housing prices have nearly doubled.

[Deleted long superfluous rant about gentrification which is stuff you almost certainly already know.]

I’m watching Austin do exactly what Silicon Valley did fifteen years ago. It’s no secret that our own local homeless population is growing fast. I can easily see us winding up with semi-permenant camps as large as that on the Coyote Creek banks.

Individual selfishness had little to do with the problem other than people wanting to make a better living. But because affordable housing was never a serious consideration, the growth thus fueled has left a lot of people behind and more every day. Urban planning that includes more than token gestures towards affordable housing is needed. Maybe not radical reorganization, but even moderate housing policies often get greeted with incredulity.

Edited to be more succinct and less lecturing in tone.

2 Likes

That’s true, but the tiny house thing offloads the costs onto the builder/individual, rather than whoever has to put up that one apartment building, IE the city.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.