To chase out low-waged workers, Mountain View is banning overnight RV and van parking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/23/the-other-google-bus.html

6 Likes

It seems like this is the city cutting itself off at the knees.

33 Likes

So that whole new business parks are great but new housing not so much NIMBYism is biting them in the parking spaces? Gee who would have thought?

33 Likes

Actually, it isn’t just the custodial and so on folks who can’t afford the Bay Area: even some of the lowly worm programmers, designers, UI/UX peons and so on can’t afford it and either work remotely as much as possible and then rent a RV or drive one down from someplace affordable for crunch time etc.

Solution: tax that sh!t, make them subsidize low income high density housing, subsidized housing and not just on their whiz bang campuses.

29 Likes

Maybe it’s time for those companies to space out further from each other… actually set up shop in communities that all of their workers can actually afford to live in.

12 Likes

Some companies are doing that, because they can’t afford to pay the kind of salaries that Google does, with Google just up the street they can’t retain anyone in SV, so they’re doing all their new hiring in other locations.

I was in MV for a couple months a couple years ago, and there were people living in campers everywhere.

8 Likes

Come on Cali. Get your Cult45 Techbros under control.

Silicon Valley has always amused me. In Texas we have Texas Instruments. Dell, NEC, Compucom, etc. The telcom corridor and the Silicon hills have no shortage of housing and the tech community is a lot less Techbro and is heavy with crusty old boffins like me.

15 Likes

This is reminisent of the boom/bust of trailers in the 20s-40s. At first there were moderately well off people towing trailers for recreational trips. Many towns along highways welcomed them and their spending with campsites. But once those became popular with transient workers, towns often got rid of those municipal campsites. There was another boom in trailers because of the housing shortages during and after the war, and then there was a real break between smaller trailers for vacations and bigger only rarely moved mobile homes. which were consigned to mobile home parks.

14 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a COA.

2 Likes

The city council has now voted to ban overnight parking by vehicles taller than 6 feet

…so they’ll just switch to vehicles less than 6 feet tall?

9 Likes

Even if the city gets what it wants: Lots of high rent businesses and expensive houses/apartments they’re going to have an untenable traffic situation as 75% of the city has to commute in every day and the mass transit options are grossly underdeveloped.

19 Likes

Yeah, but then you have to deal with Texas politics, schools, weather, etc…

13 Likes

I’ve seen stealth campers done up in 4 door sedans… If you remove the back seat you can sleep ok stretching out into the trunk.

Also… have people not seen station wagons? Easy to convert one of those into a mobile camper.

1 Like
5 Likes

You mean KOA?

8 Likes

It has been a while!

6 Likes

I think it has been for many of us. Last time for me was in the 90’s.

In the 2000’s I just used big box store parking lots to park and sleep.

2 Likes

Wheee!

9 Likes

I will solve the problem for you.

Open up public spaces, parks forest preserves, land along the various rivers and creeks to people who own and maintain high-end Yurts. It’s California, man. And High-end Yurts are still pretty affordable.

But what about the people who are homeless, and can’t afford high-end yurts?

Simple, you train them in the manufacture, sales and resale of high-end yurts.

Have them contract out to do yurt maintenance, yurt renovations (adding a second story to the better off yurt owners), personalized yurt paint jobs. Adding hydraulics to your yurt, a better stereo. You get the idea.

/s

7 Likes

where does the poo go ?

3 Likes