Restaurant shamed for using live crabs in claw machine

I can’t be the only one who thought this meant that they used a crab as the claw, right?

You know, a Flintstones-style animals-as-single-purpose-tools thing. (“It’s a living!”)

2 Likes

8 Likes

Way to denigrate the ~40% of known species that engage in parasitism by normalizing your carnivore privilege.

3 Likes

I’ll be safe, and eat them the way that’s recommended. And legal. And obvious if you’re around the eating of shellfish.
Lobsters, crabs, shrimp and other molluscs cannot be eaten if they are dead before you cook them.
They have lots of bacteria that will explode in proliferation, and these are toxic and will release poisons.
You don’t want to get sick off of shellfish. It’s awful. I had a bad oyster once.

Here in Southern Maryland we had a restaurant that had a crab catcher. It was dominated by the biggest crab they could find, and had a few small ones, and a TERRIBLE claw mechanism.
You could win money, the crab was only a gimmick, but they’d steam that bugger for you if you wanted.
They took it down because nobody would clean it right but the owner and he got sick of it. Additionally, like the Gordon Ramsey show lobster tank, it was gotten rid of in a bid to upgrade the restaurant.

So, those that object to the boiling alive cooking method should only stick to fish for their seafood. Probably no octopus or squid, either.

My stupid 2 cents

4 Likes

Your terms are acceptable. :slight_smile:

Oh, and @fuzzyfungus, yeah, I identify as a collection of synergetic organisms that form a colony creature whole. There are funguses that do contribute to what makes me, me. If you’re one of those funguses who grows on a tree and doesn’t do any damage to it, we’re good, but if you’re one of the ones that kills other creatures by eating them while they are alive, yeah, we’re gonna have words…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I … is that true? I don’t think that’s true, or at least not an absolute rule in the way it’s presented here. I’ve had a LOT of chilled and frozen seafood.

3 Likes

They have one of those in Florida for gulf lobsters

Lobsters are not toxic after death. However, they carry bacteria that will multiply after death, and they can produce toxins, so it’s important to keep lobster below 40F or over 140F to inhibit bacteria growth (same with most other protein sources).

Like fish, they are super-delicate, especially organs and gills, and those body parts will decompose very quickly, so removing the meat from the body as close to death as possible and refrigerating/freezing the meat is usually best if you aren’t immediately cooking it.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.