Retracted! Wcry ransomware is reborn without its killswitch, starts spreading anew

BDSM can really spice up your love life.

2 Likes

Yes but this is a pointless observation, any virus is bad when you run random exes from emails.

but what if the experience of having wcry is better than using Windows 10?

3 Likes

They also put a lot of effort into becoming a de facto monopoly. Had hospitals and research labs not been practically forced to buy MS software, especially during the 2000 and XP era, I would largely agree that MS were a model of customer support. In this case, with the market control comes some long-term responsibility.

5 Likes

Krebs has done posts about some ransomware authors who have a 24-hour helpline for their “customers”. A goddamn helpline.

2 Likes

Assembly or gtfo.

2 Likes

And they’re very polite, professional, and efficient apparently.

1 Like

Maybe consider spending a few minutes researching what Bitcoin actually is before flippantly trying to argue what it isn’t. The Wikipedia article is a good place to start.

6 Likes

I think this is how it happened. (Fargo, season 3)

2 Likes

Going to be hell to pay if the russian mafia lose any of their data over this.

2 Likes

NYT commenter appears to have missed that cars get recalled all the time to fix problems way after the warranty period. Mostly for safety issues that become apparent. The most recent one I had was for a possible ignition switch fire that only became apparent on cars with an unusually high number of starts. This is on a 13 year old economy car.

7 Likes

but what if the experience of having wcry is better than using Windows 10?

For the win! 100 boingboing points for you!

Assembly or gtfo

Personally I only use operating systems that are coded by trackball.

2 Likes

While we’re at it, as an additional data point: apart from my half-dead antique iPad (3G no longer works, iOS updates stopped ages ago, screen is so cracked that you’re in serious danger of slicing your fingers as you use it), every phone and computer I have ever possessed has been either employer-provided or salvaged from a rubbish pile [1].

[1] I was lucky to have IT-industry mates who would Frankenstein together a semi-functional replacement for me from scraps whenever my old one died.

4 Likes

And honest. They don’t lie about stealing from you.

1 Like

I’ve owned a Logitech Trackman (green rubber ball), Logitech Trackman FX, and now a Logitech Trackman Wheel…
One day I want to cannibalize a Logitech laser mouse into the FX and get it more up to date, it was so nice to use.

3 Likes

Ditch Norton and use the built-in AV that comes with Windows. It’s pretty effective and as long as you’re not downloading warez or opening every suspicious email attachment you’ll be fine.

Win10 is pretty insistent about updates but this ransomware serves to show why.

2 Likes

It’s less overhead than XP. System requirements for Windows have been declining.

I am deeply curious about the intersection between people running unmaintained OSes vulnerable to this attack, and people also able to navigate the process of buying and transferring BitCoin.

5 Likes

I meant the attention-overhead.

1 Like