Reverse Listening Device

[Permalink]

1 Like

You can try a device like this at the Exploratorium in SF.

Eventually, he’ll hear things where they are supposed to be. The brain is like that. See George Stratton and his image inverting goggles.

1 Like

I did this with a JVC HM-200E binaural headphone/microphone in college. I convinced people to try it on and then go out into the dorm lobby and interact with other people. It is very disorienting. When a slight delay was added between the mic and speakers it really seemed like the wearer was drunk…

Disorienting noises from multiple sources… this really sounds like my hell.

1 Like

It looks so wonderfully Dr. Seuss.

5 Likes

Dang; being deaf in one ear makes me feel left out.

Where they’ve had them for a good couple of decades.

And here I thought it was illustrating a man in the middle attack.

But with this, you’ll be deaf in the opposite ear!

3 Likes

And instead of feeling left out he’ll be right out.

1 Like

Under the moniker “the electronic pseudophone,” this was one of the best-known “Bice devices” created by the late U Va psychology professor Raymond Bice (1918-2011), and dates from at least the mid-70s.

Yes. First thing that popped into my head, too. Although, there is one twist here. We do not process all frequencies with both ears. So, at least the volume of certain sounds would always be off. This would akin to seeing red with one eye, and blue wth the other. everything would flip upright once your brain got trained to it, but I have no idea what all happens when your freq sensors get flip-flopped like that.

Selfridge’s window also has an amazing cello rigged as a sailing ship. I can’t find a picture of that on the web.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.